Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Congress Fields Local Candidate Ajay Rai against Modi in Varanasi
By Rama Mohan | April 9, 2014 2:55 PM EST
Congress on 8 April fielded its candidate Ajay Rai in the Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency, to take on Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. Rai is a local MLA and has won the Assembly seat five times. He is a Bhumihar by caste, Congress said.
Lok Sabha Election 2014: Cong Fields Local Candidate Ajay Rai against Modi in Varanasi
As a Congress candidate, Rai will also have to fight against Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidate Arvind Kejriwal. Before joining Congress, Rai was with Samajwadi Party (SP) and BJP.
Congress claimed that Rai has considerable clout in Varanasi, as he is a local, who has contested and won several elections in the past. He is now representing Pindra Assembly constituency.
Rai began his political career with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishat, the students' wing of BJP. He is a graduate from Kashi Vidyapeeth and won the Kolasla (now Pindra) Assembly seat in 1996 by defeating nine-time sitting CPI MLA Udal. Since then he has retained the seat. He left BJP in 2009 as the party "betrayed" him by denying ticket to contest Lok Sabha election, which was in turn was given to Murli Manohar Joshi. Though he joined SP as the party's candidate, Rai was said to have worked for the success of Joshi in the Lok Sabha election to prevent the election of Mukhtar Ansari, then a BSP candidate.
Speculation was rife that Congess would pit one of its senior leaders like Digvijay Singh, Anand Sharma or Rashid Alvi against Modi. Defending its decision to zero in on Rai, Congress described him as the grass roots-level worker. The advantage for Rai is that he is a local candidate and knows the problems of the area, Congress said.
Congress has fielded Narendra Mistry against Modi in Vadodara in Gujarat. Modi is contesting Vadodara seat as well, along with Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
Ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh has already fielded its candidate Kailash Chowrasia in Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown