Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe Admitted to Intensive Care Due to Infection
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Legendary Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe has been admitted to intensive care unit after contraction of lethal infections that may result to final bid adieu from competitive swimming.
World record holder Ian Thorpe waves to spectators before the men's 200 metres freestyle semi-final of the Australian Olympic team swimming trials at the Sydney Aquatic Centre in this March 28, 2004 file photo. Thorpe is in a Sydney hospital fighting a "serious" infection and is unlikely to swim competitively again, his manager told Australian media late on April 8, 2014. The five-times Olympic champion had contracted "two bugs" after undertaking a series of shoulder surgeries, manager James Erskine told Australian Associated Press
According to Network Seven, the five-time Olympic gold medal winner, 31, contracted the infection after a series of surgeries performrd on his shoulder at Ronca sopra Ascona, a small town in Switzerland.
Thorpe was latter transferred to a hospital in Sydney and currently is undergoing treatment. James Erskine, Thorpe's agent, said the swimmer was "quite sick" and has very less chances to return to swimming since he may lose his left arm.
Erskine added Thorpe was not in intensive care unit but under treatment with large doses of antibiotics to further stop spreading the infection.
"He's on an IV drip, he has drains in his shoulder...He's a sick puppy, but at the end of the day he's not critical...He's not in intensive care," Erksine made the statement at ABC News 24.
"Like all these things, the doctors and nurses in Australia are good and it's bad luck that he got this and he's fighting it like he always has...He will get better quickly I'm sure," he noted.
Matt Walsh, Thorpe's former teammate, was disappointed to hear the condition saying the athlete was unlucky to get infected of a super bug.
"It's pretty unlucky, every surgery has its risks...He's pretty strong physically and very strong mentally - I'm sure he'll be able to bounce back," Welsh said on the Seven Network.
He added it will be the "toughest pill to swallow" for the legendary swimmer, if he really have to back off from professional swimming circuit.
"I'm not sure what his long-term plans were but you definitely want to keep your options open...Ian's been very unlucky with all his attempts to get back in the pool," Welsh noted.
This is the second big upset in Thorpe's career. It was early 2014, when Thorpe was admitted to treat depression, followed by this major issue, which may jeopardize the career of the world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change