Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe Admitted to Intensive Care Due to Infection
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Legendary Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe has been admitted to intensive care unit after contraction of lethal infections that may result to final bid adieu from competitive swimming.
World record holder Ian Thorpe waves to spectators before the men's 200 metres freestyle semi-final of the Australian Olympic team swimming trials at the Sydney Aquatic Centre in this March 28, 2004 file photo. Thorpe is in a Sydney hospital fighting a "serious" infection and is unlikely to swim competitively again, his manager told Australian media late on April 8, 2014. The five-times Olympic champion had contracted "two bugs" after undertaking a series of shoulder surgeries, manager James Erskine told Australian Associated Press
According to Network Seven, the five-time Olympic gold medal winner, 31, contracted the infection after a series of surgeries performrd on his shoulder at Ronca sopra Ascona, a small town in Switzerland.
Thorpe was latter transferred to a hospital in Sydney and currently is undergoing treatment. James Erskine, Thorpe's agent, said the swimmer was "quite sick" and has very less chances to return to swimming since he may lose his left arm.
Erskine added Thorpe was not in intensive care unit but under treatment with large doses of antibiotics to further stop spreading the infection.
"He's on an IV drip, he has drains in his shoulder...He's a sick puppy, but at the end of the day he's not critical...He's not in intensive care," Erksine made the statement at ABC News 24.
"Like all these things, the doctors and nurses in Australia are good and it's bad luck that he got this and he's fighting it like he always has...He will get better quickly I'm sure," he noted.
Matt Walsh, Thorpe's former teammate, was disappointed to hear the condition saying the athlete was unlucky to get infected of a super bug.
"It's pretty unlucky, every surgery has its risks...He's pretty strong physically and very strong mentally - I'm sure he'll be able to bounce back," Welsh said on the Seven Network.
He added it will be the "toughest pill to swallow" for the legendary swimmer, if he really have to back off from professional swimming circuit.
"I'm not sure what his long-term plans were but you definitely want to keep your options open...Ian's been very unlucky with all his attempts to get back in the pool," Welsh noted.
This is the second big upset in Thorpe's career. It was early 2014, when Thorpe was admitted to treat depression, followed by this major issue, which may jeopardize the career of the world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary