Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe Admitted to Intensive Care Due to Infection
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Legendary Australian Swimmer Ian Thorpe has been admitted to intensive care unit after contraction of lethal infections that may result to final bid adieu from competitive swimming.
World record holder Ian Thorpe waves to spectators before the men's 200 metres freestyle semi-final of the Australian Olympic team swimming trials at the Sydney Aquatic Centre in this March 28, 2004 file photo. Thorpe is in a Sydney hospital fighting a "serious" infection and is unlikely to swim competitively again, his manager told Australian media late on April 8, 2014. The five-times Olympic champion had contracted "two bugs" after undertaking a series of shoulder surgeries, manager James Erskine told Australian Associated Press
According to Network Seven, the five-time Olympic gold medal winner, 31, contracted the infection after a series of surgeries performrd on his shoulder at Ronca sopra Ascona, a small town in Switzerland.
Thorpe was latter transferred to a hospital in Sydney and currently is undergoing treatment. James Erskine, Thorpe's agent, said the swimmer was "quite sick" and has very less chances to return to swimming since he may lose his left arm.
Erskine added Thorpe was not in intensive care unit but under treatment with large doses of antibiotics to further stop spreading the infection.
"He's on an IV drip, he has drains in his shoulder...He's a sick puppy, but at the end of the day he's not critical...He's not in intensive care," Erksine made the statement at ABC News 24.
"Like all these things, the doctors and nurses in Australia are good and it's bad luck that he got this and he's fighting it like he always has...He will get better quickly I'm sure," he noted.
Matt Walsh, Thorpe's former teammate, was disappointed to hear the condition saying the athlete was unlucky to get infected of a super bug.
"It's pretty unlucky, every surgery has its risks...He's pretty strong physically and very strong mentally - I'm sure he'll be able to bounce back," Welsh said on the Seven Network.
He added it will be the "toughest pill to swallow" for the legendary swimmer, if he really have to back off from professional swimming circuit.
"I'm not sure what his long-term plans were but you definitely want to keep your options open...Ian's been very unlucky with all his attempts to get back in the pool," Welsh noted.
This is the second big upset in Thorpe's career. It was early 2014, when Thorpe was admitted to treat depression, followed by this major issue, which may jeopardize the career of the world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet