Champions League Quarterfinals: Chelsea vs PSG Highlights, Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 9, 2014 2:11 PM EST
Chelsea pulled off yet another great escape, with Demba Ba providing the winner in the final moments to send the English Premier League side through to the semifinals at the expense of PSG.
Leading 3-1 going into the second leg at Stamford Bridge, PSG would have thought they had one foot, and a little bit, in the semifinals, but what transpired was yet another inspirational Chelsea European night.
Andre Schurrle was the man to kick off the comeback in the 32nd minute, slamming home off a knock-on from David Luiz, with PSG caught napping from a long throw-in.
Chelsea had a couple of glorious chances to take a 2-0 lead which would see them through on away goals, but Schurrle's thundering strike smashed onto the crossbar, before Oscar did the same off a freekick a moment later.
Edinson Cavani, leading the line for PSG in the absence of the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic, missed a wonderful chance to kill the tie off a little later, lashing his left-footed shit high after running in behind the Chelsea defenders.
That miss would prove to be costly, as Chelsea, courtesy the long foot of Demba Ba, made it 2-0 in the 87th minute, with the Blues then holding on in the final moments to seal their passage into the semifinals on the away goals rule, after the tie finished 3-3 on aggregate.
In the second game, Marco Reus almost ended Real Madrid's hopes of a La Decima, scoring two goals, as Borussia Dortmund fell marginally short, with Real's 3-0 victory in the first leg proving to be decisive as they eked out a 3-2 aggregate victory.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight