iPhone 6 Release Soon as Apple Works on Its Own Baseband Chips
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 9, 2014 1:18 PM EST
iPhone 6 release date will be soon as Apple was reportedly working on its own baseband processors.
Apparently, Apple will declare independence soon as it continues to try to uphold in-house hardware and manufacturing processes as much as it can. The company said it is currently working on its in-house manufacturing of baseband chips.
Apple's iPhone 5 has the highest trade-in value among smartphones.
The company has an existing contract with Qualcomm as its source for baseband chips. Recent reports claimed Apple created a research and development team who will work on baseband chips in Apple's base.
According to Tapscape, the Cupertino-based tech giant will form the R&D team to develop baseband processors in iPhones for released in 2015. These will place the baseband chip orders with Samsung Electronics and Globalfoundries.
Moving the manufacturing process in-house brings many advantages for Apple. The cost will be significantly reduced since the company no longer have to make contract with outside sources and partners. Also, the company can employ standard control methods to ensure the quality of the devices. Apple has been focused on control in its hardware and this can be done by eliminating third-party sources.
Developing in-house components will minimize leaks and rumors that originated from the supply chain. Most components of the upcoming handset were divulged by sources from the supply chain spoiling the surprise for the consumers.
Meanwhile, Apple is still tight-lipped when it comes to the official specs and features of the upcoming iPhone 6. But it was long expected the company will release a larger smartphone to enter the phablet category.
Some rumors claimed iPhone 6 will come in two variants - one with 4.7-inch screen panel and the other with 5.5-inch display. Other rumored features of the Apple handset were a faster A8 processor, iOS 8 and touchID fingerprint sensor.
As for iPhone 6 release date, Apple has not announced the official launch of iPhone 6 yet. But speculations claimed the device will arrive in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference alongside a new operating system. Other reports said the handset will arrive in September or October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report