Champions League Results: Chelsea Enters Semifinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 1:09 PM EST
In a stunning match against PSG at Stamford Bridge, London, Chelsea secured their berth in top four after defeating the visitor by 2-0.
Chelsea's Demba Ba (hidden) celebrates with coach Jose Mourinho and team mates after scoring the second goal for the team during their Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Paris St Germain at Stamford Bridge in London April 8, 2014.
The last minute goal from Bemba Da sealed Chelsea's entry into the semifinal of the Champions League.
The first goal of the match came in 32 minutes from a corner kick by David Luiz, which went perfectly to Andre Schürrle, and the 23-year-old made no mistake to get the lead.
The turning point of the match arrived in the 67th minute of the second-half when Frank Lampard was replaced by Demba Ba.
It looked Demba was all ready to mark his presence as he started flicking on a long ball to Schürrle, but the hasty shot was defended by Salvatore Sirigu.
The final goal came in 87 minutes when Ba finally hit the ball to the net, giving Chelsea the lead of two goals.
Skipper John Terry was ecstatic after the win.
"We gave ourselves a chance by not conceding. We had to hit the big man and he scores. This competition means a lot to us. The experiences we have had keeps you fighting and believing. Winning it was the best feeling ever. These big performances are what we live for ... Everyone doubted us tonight but we showed great character and fight to come back. It all paid off," Terry said on ITV.
Chelsea Manager Jose Mourinho earlier indicated the potential of the team to win the match. With the second goal, he ran towards the joyous teammate and talked about the changes for the extra crucial time left to finish the match.
"I didn't go to the corner flag to celebrate. I went to tell them the changes we had to make. There were three minutes plus extra-time left and the way we were playing was too risky ... I wanted Demba Ba to play in front of the defenders and Fernando Torres to defend Maxwell. I tried to use them in different jobs ... I think we did enough at beginning of the second-half to score before we did. The contradiction of what they (PSG) are and what they wanted to do. In the second-half it was pure ball possession. But it was difficult for us to penetrate. We did it in training yesterday, with three different systems, all of which we used. The players knew what they had to do. Demba Ba made a crucial finish for us.It was very much deserved that the team that tried to defend was punished. The team that played with their heart deserved to go through," Mourinho said on ITV.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report