Champions League Results: Chelsea Enters Semifinal
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 1:09 PM EST
In a stunning match against PSG at Stamford Bridge, London, Chelsea secured their berth in top four after defeating the visitor by 2-0.
Chelsea's Demba Ba (hidden) celebrates with coach Jose Mourinho and team mates after scoring the second goal for the team during their Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Paris St Germain at Stamford Bridge in London April 8, 2014.
The last minute goal from Bemba Da sealed Chelsea's entry into the semifinal of the Champions League.
The first goal of the match came in 32 minutes from a corner kick by David Luiz, which went perfectly to Andre Schürrle, and the 23-year-old made no mistake to get the lead.
The turning point of the match arrived in the 67th minute of the second-half when Frank Lampard was replaced by Demba Ba.
It looked Demba was all ready to mark his presence as he started flicking on a long ball to Schürrle, but the hasty shot was defended by Salvatore Sirigu.
The final goal came in 87 minutes when Ba finally hit the ball to the net, giving Chelsea the lead of two goals.
Skipper John Terry was ecstatic after the win.
"We gave ourselves a chance by not conceding. We had to hit the big man and he scores. This competition means a lot to us. The experiences we have had keeps you fighting and believing. Winning it was the best feeling ever. These big performances are what we live for ... Everyone doubted us tonight but we showed great character and fight to come back. It all paid off," Terry said on ITV.
Chelsea Manager Jose Mourinho earlier indicated the potential of the team to win the match. With the second goal, he ran towards the joyous teammate and talked about the changes for the extra crucial time left to finish the match.
"I didn't go to the corner flag to celebrate. I went to tell them the changes we had to make. There were three minutes plus extra-time left and the way we were playing was too risky ... I wanted Demba Ba to play in front of the defenders and Fernando Torres to defend Maxwell. I tried to use them in different jobs ... I think we did enough at beginning of the second-half to score before we did. The contradiction of what they (PSG) are and what they wanted to do. In the second-half it was pure ball possession. But it was difficult for us to penetrate. We did it in training yesterday, with three different systems, all of which we used. The players knew what they had to do. Demba Ba made a crucial finish for us.It was very much deserved that the team that tried to defend was punished. The team that played with their heart deserved to go through," Mourinho said on ITV.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]