NBA News: Joe Dumars to Quit As Detroit Pistons GM After The Season
By James Patrick Quizon | April 9, 2014 1:04 PM EST
The Dumars era in Detroit is over.
Dumars will resign as general manager and team president of the Detroit Pistons when the 2013-2014 NBA season is over. Various news outlets have confirmed the reports that former Pistons great have told multiple sources that indeed he will be stepping down from his position as the Pistons GM.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Dumars is very popular in Detroit after leading the Pistons along with backcourt partner Isiah Thomas to two championships in 1989 and 1990. He did it again as a general manager in 2004 when he built a team around Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups
That was the last good run for Dumars’ Detroit. They lost in the NBA Finals against the San Antonio Spurs in 2005 and slowly Dumars decimated the championship core to start an elongated rebuilding process.
The rebuild took a major hit this season after recent offseason signings did not pan out.
The Pistons signed Josh Smith ($56 million/4 years) and Brandon Jennings ($24M/3 years) to lengthy and potentially toxic contracts and it only produced a 28-49 win-loss card— far from the team’s target of making the postseason for the first time since 2009.
Other perceived mistakes Dumars did as GM were the signing Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to long-term deals in previous years. Another infamous blunder was picking center Darko Milicic as 2nd overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft where Dumars passed on talents like Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu