NBA News: Joe Dumars to Quit As Detroit Pistons GM After The Season
By James Patrick Quizon | April 9, 2014 1:04 PM EST
The Dumars era in Detroit is over.
Dumars will resign as general manager and team president of the Detroit Pistons when the 2013-2014 NBA season is over. Various news outlets have confirmed the reports that former Pistons great have told multiple sources that indeed he will be stepping down from his position as the Pistons GM.
NBA: Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat
Dumars is very popular in Detroit after leading the Pistons along with backcourt partner Isiah Thomas to two championships in 1989 and 1990. He did it again as a general manager in 2004 when he built a team around Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups
That was the last good run for Dumars’ Detroit. They lost in the NBA Finals against the San Antonio Spurs in 2005 and slowly Dumars decimated the championship core to start an elongated rebuilding process.
The rebuild took a major hit this season after recent offseason signings did not pan out.
The Pistons signed Josh Smith ($56 million/4 years) and Brandon Jennings ($24M/3 years) to lengthy and potentially toxic contracts and it only produced a 28-49 win-loss card— far from the team’s target of making the postseason for the first time since 2009.
Other perceived mistakes Dumars did as GM were the signing Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to long-term deals in previous years. Another infamous blunder was picking center Darko Milicic as 2nd overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft where Dumars passed on talents like Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4