Stock to Avoid: Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL)
By Athena Yenko | April 9, 2014 1:02 PM EST
Writing for Forbes, contributor Peter Cohan suggested for investors to avoid Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) stock.
- Tim Cook was ineffective to lead the company in introducing highly transforming products. His portfolio as Apple Inc's CEO was all product and software updates as compared to Steve Jobs' iPod, iPhone and iPad.
During Jobs' leadership, there was consistency with Apple Inc's revenue growth at 44 per cent. With Cook, still there was consistency, but, consistency of slow revenue growth at 26 per cent.
Cohan noted that in 2013, Apple Inc's revenues decelerated at 9 per cent.
- iWatch and iTV are ho-hum ideas said Cohan. After years and years of talking about iWatch and iTV, these products still fail to boost Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) market share.
- Strategy Analytics report that Apple's market share plummeted from 19 per cent to 15 per cent noting that Samsung snatched 32 per cent of the overall smartphone market.
- Citing Bloomberg's calculation - Apple Inc's sales peaking 6 per cent in 2014 to $181 billion and another 6 per cent in 2015 to 192 billion - Cohan thinks that Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) shares are overvalued.
On the other side of the coin, analysts are seeing promising reasons to still bet on Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) for long term investment.
- Apple Inc's products remain popular to the 'future spenders' market - the teens.
In a report from investment bank Piper Jaffray - Spring 2014 teen Survey - iPhone is the smartphone choice for teens in the US.
More importantly, these future spenders are excited about the iWatch.
Out of the 7,500 teens surveyed for the report, 17 per cent said they will surely buy an iWatch especially if Apple Inc priced it at point below $350.
Senior research analyst Gene Munster noted that an Oct 2013 survey of the general public showed only 12 per cent interested buyers of the iWatch. Munster said that an increase in teen buyers alone was parked by the nearing product launch. Apple Inc will sell approximately 5-10 million iWatch in just a year of its introduction, Munster predicted.
In the case of the iPhone, 61 per cent of the surveyed teens own a version of the iPhone - an increase from 55 per cent in fall 2013.
Sixty-seven per cent of the surveyed teens said they still plan to purchase the next iPhone especially if it comes with a larger display screen.
- Apple Inc. has signed a deal with the world's largest telecom carrier, China Mobile Ltd. (NYSE:CHL). Analysts see this as just step one in Apple Inc's plan of dominating the emerging markets.
In a report dated April 7 2014, Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White said that people from China and Taiwan are expressing impressive enthusiasm for the iPhone 6.
The people he talked with in China and Taiwan are mostly using Samsung devices because of larger screen, however, they said that they are more than willing to shift to iPhone 6 if it comes with a larger screen.
White put a price target of $777 a share price target of Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL).
- Health-related patents like pulse monitors, glucose sensors and pedometers from Apple; as well as "Sports monitoring system for headphones, ear buds and/or headsets" made UBS analysts put a $625 per share price target for Apple stock.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales