Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/9/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 9, 2014 12:46 PM EST
The local share market has tested five year highs in early trade, with every sector well supported.
The US Dow Jones Index recovered a little overnight while there was a solid comeback from technology stocks which supported the NASDAQ. European markets eased after the International Monetary Fund downgraded global growth, now forecasting the world economy to grow by 3.6 per cent.
A woman looks at an electronic stock quotation board in Tokyo.
It has been a big day in the retail space, with upmarket retailer David Jones (DJS) recommending shareholders accept a $2.15 billion takeover offer from South African retailer Woolworths. The $4 cash per share proposal has seen DJS shares rise 23.3 per cent to $3.93 at lunchtime. DJS had to be placed in another trading halt just after 11am AEST as rival Myer Limited (MYR) withdrew its proposed merger offer for the retailer. MYR shares are up almost five per cent to $2.41. Woolworths is one of the biggest companies on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and is unrelated to the Australian supermarket giant of the same name. It has a market capitalisation of $5.5 billion and annual revenue of $4 billion, almost double DJS annual revenue. The company says it wants to build the biggest retail giant in the southern hemisphere.
In economic news, consumer sentiment has inched higher for the first time in five months in April. Australians are more optimistic about the state of their finances and a little less worried about keeping their jobs.
Home loans rose by 2.3 per cent in February, above forecasts for two per cent growth.
The Australian dollar has risen to a fresh four month high against the greenback as investors chase higher yields. At 12pm AEST the AUD is buying US93.77c.
So far on the market, 892 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.9 billion. 482 are up, 270 are down and 319 are unchanged.
Japan's NIKKEI Index is down 1.5 per cent in the early session while the Shanghai Composite is up 0.25 per cent.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers