Beliebers Don’t Really Care About Justin Bieber’s Music, Rob Lowe Says
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Justin Bieber’s Beliebers don’t really care about his songs, Rob Lowe said. The Brat Pack star said he empathises with the young Canadian heartthrob because his fans don’t “give s*** about the music.”
On Sunday, the 50-year-old actor opened up to Oprah Winfrey on her “Prime” show, saying that it’s very common in the entertainment industry to be treated as a commodity for young women to buy.
He reflected on his days as a heartthrob, and said that times have not changed today. According to him, Bieber is also experiencing the same fate, which is sad because the truth is that his own fans don’t really care about his music.
“I have tremendous empathy,” Lowe said of Bieber. “He makes really good music, he does, but I think he knows the dark secret, and the dark secret is 80% of his audience doesn’t give a s*** about the music.”
Bieber is only the guy manufactured by his label to stand “in front.”
He continued, “It has nothing to do with what he’s doing as an artist. He is the guy who is standing in front at a moment that they’re going through a developmental thing. It’s natural, it’s all great, but if it wasn’t him, it would be somebody else, like it was me.”
Lowe, like Bieber, started in the industry in his teens. He starred in his breakthrough film in 1983 in “The Outsiders.” He became a member of the Brat Pack, a nickname given to a group of young actors who frequently appeared together in teen-oriented films in the ‘80s, after starring in “St Elmo’s Fire.”
And just like Bieber, he also had his fair share of controversies during his younger days. He became addicted to drugs, which promptly sent him checking into rehab.
“I loved it,” he said of his rehab stay. “I couldn’t have gotten sober without rehab because I needed the science. I needed to (learn about) addiction and what it does to your body and all of the research and things like that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Jurassic World’ Director Teases New Image Featuring Chris Pratt In A Friendly Pose With A Raptor [Spoilers]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 10 Update: Air Date, Hints, Oliver Queen's Return Theories [Spoilers, Review]
- Bookmaker Suspends Bets on Queen Elizabeth II Christmas Day Abdication Announcement
- 'White Collar' Season 6, Episode 6 Spoiler: Matt Bomer's Neal Caffrey Dies In Finale Speculations, Mozzie Dies And 'Baby Neal' In Facebook Comments
- Kate Middleton News: The Duchess Glams Up In Queen’s Christmas Lunch After Controversial Hoodie [PHOTOS]