Beliebers Don’t Really Care About Justin Bieber’s Music, Rob Lowe Says
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Justin Bieber’s Beliebers don’t really care about his songs, Rob Lowe said. The Brat Pack star said he empathises with the young Canadian heartthrob because his fans don’t “give s*** about the music.”
On Sunday, the 50-year-old actor opened up to Oprah Winfrey on her “Prime” show, saying that it’s very common in the entertainment industry to be treated as a commodity for young women to buy.
He reflected on his days as a heartthrob, and said that times have not changed today. According to him, Bieber is also experiencing the same fate, which is sad because the truth is that his own fans don’t really care about his music.
“I have tremendous empathy,” Lowe said of Bieber. “He makes really good music, he does, but I think he knows the dark secret, and the dark secret is 80% of his audience doesn’t give a s*** about the music.”
Bieber is only the guy manufactured by his label to stand “in front.”
He continued, “It has nothing to do with what he’s doing as an artist. He is the guy who is standing in front at a moment that they’re going through a developmental thing. It’s natural, it’s all great, but if it wasn’t him, it would be somebody else, like it was me.”
Lowe, like Bieber, started in the industry in his teens. He starred in his breakthrough film in 1983 in “The Outsiders.” He became a member of the Brat Pack, a nickname given to a group of young actors who frequently appeared together in teen-oriented films in the ‘80s, after starring in “St Elmo’s Fire.”
And just like Bieber, he also had his fair share of controversies during his younger days. He became addicted to drugs, which promptly sent him checking into rehab.
“I loved it,” he said of his rehab stay. “I couldn’t have gotten sober without rehab because I needed the science. I needed to (learn about) addiction and what it does to your body and all of the research and things like that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch