Beliebers Don’t Really Care About Justin Bieber’s Music, Rob Lowe Says
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Justin Bieber’s Beliebers don’t really care about his songs, Rob Lowe said. The Brat Pack star said he empathises with the young Canadian heartthrob because his fans don’t “give s*** about the music.”
On Sunday, the 50-year-old actor opened up to Oprah Winfrey on her “Prime” show, saying that it’s very common in the entertainment industry to be treated as a commodity for young women to buy.
He reflected on his days as a heartthrob, and said that times have not changed today. According to him, Bieber is also experiencing the same fate, which is sad because the truth is that his own fans don’t really care about his music.
“I have tremendous empathy,” Lowe said of Bieber. “He makes really good music, he does, but I think he knows the dark secret, and the dark secret is 80% of his audience doesn’t give a s*** about the music.”
Bieber is only the guy manufactured by his label to stand “in front.”
He continued, “It has nothing to do with what he’s doing as an artist. He is the guy who is standing in front at a moment that they’re going through a developmental thing. It’s natural, it’s all great, but if it wasn’t him, it would be somebody else, like it was me.”
Lowe, like Bieber, started in the industry in his teens. He starred in his breakthrough film in 1983 in “The Outsiders.” He became a member of the Brat Pack, a nickname given to a group of young actors who frequently appeared together in teen-oriented films in the ‘80s, after starring in “St Elmo’s Fire.”
And just like Bieber, he also had his fair share of controversies during his younger days. He became addicted to drugs, which promptly sent him checking into rehab.
“I loved it,” he said of his rehab stay. “I couldn’t have gotten sober without rehab because I needed the science. I needed to (learn about) addiction and what it does to your body and all of the research and things like that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown