Canadian Soldier Who Served in Afghanistan Shot in Barbados, Miraculously Survives Bullet in Body
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 9, 2014 11:57 AM EST
A Canadian man was shot in Barbados while he was on a holiday with his family. Jonathon Hubble was shot by masked robbers after they broke into Ms Hubble's vacation home in the Caribbean. If he is still alive now, it is only because of his wife Heather who performed first aid on her husband before the ambulance came an hour after he was shot.
Lt.-Col Lee Hammond (R) receives a hug from his daughters Daria Hammond, 13, and Katie Hammond (rear, obscured) as the last of Canada's troops return home from Afghanistan to Edmonton Garrison March 18, 2014.
Therer were four armed men. They entered the house with a pistol and a machete. The Hubbles were staying in the house together with relatives. When the masked men entered the house, their baby daughter was playing on the floor, while the rest of them were upstairs, CBC News reported.
Ms Hubbles, however, was near the door when they walked in. She instantly thought of making her daughter secure so she tried grabbing her daughter right away. The masked men asked her to stop. She was, nevertheless, allowed to pick her daughter up while her moves were closely watched by an armed man. Ms Hubbles gave them some cash. They took her iPhone and were about to leave.
In the meantime, Mr Hubbles saw one of the masked men while he was approaching the house from outside. He started shouting at him and asked him to leave. While he moves closer to the armed man, he eventually locked hands with the masked man. A couple of other men came toward him. One of them pointed a gun to his chest and fired. Ms Hubbles said that he knew he was shot, which felt like "a kick to the kidney".
It is no short of a miracle that the bullet travelled the entire body of Mr Hubbles from his chest to the tailbone without touching any of the major organs of his body. The extraordinary circumstances brought Mr Hubble even closer to his wife. Both the husband and the wife are in the Canadian Army. They have earlier served in Afghanistan. They are happy that their infant daughter was left unharmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Hotel Bikini Berlin’s Toilet Exposes Guests as They Do Their Thing
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Eighty Dead Bodies Still Scattered around MH17 Crash Site, Australia Says
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools