Canadian Soldier Who Served in Afghanistan Shot in Barbados, Miraculously Survives Bullet in Body
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 9, 2014 11:57 AM EST
A Canadian man was shot in Barbados while he was on a holiday with his family. Jonathon Hubble was shot by masked robbers after they broke into Ms Hubble's vacation home in the Caribbean. If he is still alive now, it is only because of his wife Heather who performed first aid on her husband before the ambulance came an hour after he was shot.
Lt.-Col Lee Hammond (R) receives a hug from his daughters Daria Hammond, 13, and Katie Hammond (rear, obscured) as the last of Canada's troops return home from Afghanistan to Edmonton Garrison March 18, 2014.
Therer were four armed men. They entered the house with a pistol and a machete. The Hubbles were staying in the house together with relatives. When the masked men entered the house, their baby daughter was playing on the floor, while the rest of them were upstairs, CBC News reported.
Ms Hubbles, however, was near the door when they walked in. She instantly thought of making her daughter secure so she tried grabbing her daughter right away. The masked men asked her to stop. She was, nevertheless, allowed to pick her daughter up while her moves were closely watched by an armed man. Ms Hubbles gave them some cash. They took her iPhone and were about to leave.
In the meantime, Mr Hubbles saw one of the masked men while he was approaching the house from outside. He started shouting at him and asked him to leave. While he moves closer to the armed man, he eventually locked hands with the masked man. A couple of other men came toward him. One of them pointed a gun to his chest and fired. Ms Hubbles said that he knew he was shot, which felt like "a kick to the kidney".
It is no short of a miracle that the bullet travelled the entire body of Mr Hubbles from his chest to the tailbone without touching any of the major organs of his body. The extraordinary circumstances brought Mr Hubble even closer to his wife. Both the husband and the wife are in the Canadian Army. They have earlier served in Afghanistan. They are happy that their infant daughter was left unharmed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Conspiracy Theory: CIA and Ukraine Together ‘Orchestrated’ Boeing 777’s Shot Down; Russian Media Accuses the U.S.- Report
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air