Manny Pacquiao to Consider Retirement if He Loses to Timothy Bradley in the Rematch; Bradley Confident He Will Win
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 9, 2014 11:52 AM EST
When should Manny Pacquiao walk away from boxing? A new report say that Pacquiao might consider retiring from the sport he played for nearly a decade if he loses to Timothy Bradley in their upcoming rematch.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Pacquiao's long-time coach Freddie Roach told The Telegraph Sport that if the Filipino boxer loses in his rematch with Bradley on April 12, it may be time for the eight-division world champion to hang up his gloves. "This is a 'must-win' situation on Saturday night, and if we don't win this fight we have to consider maybe retirement," said Roach.
The Hall of Fame trainer said that the Bradley rematch is a huge fight for Team Pacquiao. They have to prove that Pacquiao has still got the boxing skills that brought him to superstardom. "Some people think that we are done and we have to prove that we are not."
According to Roach, there is really no question about Pacquiao's boxing skills. He is most certain that he still got those skills in him. Roach also thinks that Pacquiao's political position is neither a hindrance nor a pressure for the fighting congressman. What he thinks is that Pacquiao's new religious belief plays a big factor.
"The thing is The Bible is getting in the way a little bit, but I showed him in The Bible there is violence and there is payback," Roach said.
Bradley is in the same boat as Roach's. According to the American boxer, Pacquiao boxing style has changed but he knows that the Filipino boxer is an amazing fighter. "Manny Pacquiao has always been a great fighter and from what I heard he is a great person," Bradley told Bad Left Hook. "But I think in the last two years, Manny has become a more compassionate fighter," Bradley added. "I think he lost the fire that made him the number one pound-four-pound fighter in the world."
Bradley said that Pacquiao is now a different fighter and that the old Pacquiao who beat the hell out of Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, and Antonio Margarito is gone.
In no instance that Bradley will show Pacquiao any consideration, and said "Manny Pacquiao will have to knock me out to stop my family from eating," were Bradley's last words.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports