Washington Mudslide: Families Mourn; Death Toll Rises to 33, Officials Revise Missing List to 12
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 9, 2014 10:49 AM EST
Even after weeks of searching the rubble and braving the poor weather, people of Washington still remain hopeful and positive.
Members of communities affected by the Oso mudslide participate in a candlelight vigil at the Community Center in Darrington, Washington April 5, 2014.
On March 22, a 600-foot hillside above the north folk of the Stillaguamish River had terribly washed out homes and killed the lives of many people in the state of Washington in the U.S. The devastating mudslide is now responsible for 33 deaths with a dozen more missing, according to reports.
According to Reuters, the 12 people reportedly still missing from the devastation include three children -- a 2-year-old girl and two boys, ages four and 14.
Eight were reported to have survived the devastating mudslide, but since the rescue teams started digging in for possible survivors, only dead bodies had been dug out by the rescuers. According to a Los Angeles Times report, only three from the bodies dug out from the rubble are still unidentified.
Despite the poor weather, rescuers hasn't stopped going through the rubble. There had been reports that the rescue teams were losing hope, but it didn't stop them, either, from braving the debris and mud left by the mudslide.
In fact, people of Washington had been full of hope that they even produced Oso mudslide support t-shirts with sales going to the victims of the catastrophe.
Aside from the funds coming from the t-shirt sales, several people and organizations donated and extended their help for the relief operations. A rough count of 450 people from 117 different organizations reportedly helped the search operations.
Funerals had been done after two weeks where several families mourn for the death of their loved ones. In one report, the funeral of a school custodian was detailed. Summer Raffo, the school custodian, was just one of the 33 victims officially included in the death toll.
The 36-year-old school custodian died after her car was reportedly crashed by mud off Highway 530, just a few miles near the mudslide site.
On April 5, members of the communities who were affected by the mudslide in Oso, Washington participated in a candlelight vigil at the community center in Washington, praying for all the unfortunate victims.
Washington Mudslide Updates:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change