Washington Mudslide: Families Mourn; Death Toll Rises to 33, Officials Revise Missing List to 12
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 9, 2014 10:49 AM EST
Even after weeks of searching the rubble and braving the poor weather, people of Washington still remain hopeful and positive.
Members of communities affected by the Oso mudslide participate in a candlelight vigil at the Community Center in Darrington, Washington April 5, 2014.
On March 22, a 600-foot hillside above the north folk of the Stillaguamish River had terribly washed out homes and killed the lives of many people in the state of Washington in the U.S. The devastating mudslide is now responsible for 33 deaths with a dozen more missing, according to reports.
According to Reuters, the 12 people reportedly still missing from the devastation include three children -- a 2-year-old girl and two boys, ages four and 14.
Eight were reported to have survived the devastating mudslide, but since the rescue teams started digging in for possible survivors, only dead bodies had been dug out by the rescuers. According to a Los Angeles Times report, only three from the bodies dug out from the rubble are still unidentified.
Despite the poor weather, rescuers hasn't stopped going through the rubble. There had been reports that the rescue teams were losing hope, but it didn't stop them, either, from braving the debris and mud left by the mudslide.
In fact, people of Washington had been full of hope that they even produced Oso mudslide support t-shirts with sales going to the victims of the catastrophe.
Aside from the funds coming from the t-shirt sales, several people and organizations donated and extended their help for the relief operations. A rough count of 450 people from 117 different organizations reportedly helped the search operations.
Funerals had been done after two weeks where several families mourn for the death of their loved ones. In one report, the funeral of a school custodian was detailed. Summer Raffo, the school custodian, was just one of the 33 victims officially included in the death toll.
The 36-year-old school custodian died after her car was reportedly crashed by mud off Highway 530, just a few miles near the mudslide site.
On April 5, members of the communities who were affected by the mudslide in Oso, Washington participated in a candlelight vigil at the community center in Washington, praying for all the unfortunate victims.
Washington Mudslide Updates:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu