Boxing News 2014: Boxing Experts Forecast No KO, But Decision in Favour of Pacquiao Over Bradley in April 12 Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2014 9:28 AM EST
Boxing fans expecting a knockout either by eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao or unbeaten American boxer Timothy Bradley are cautioned by experts not to see a KO during the April 12 rematch at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Instead, they are bracing for a decision because of the seriousness of both pugilists in wanting to beat one another and convince viewers they deserve the title.
However, majority of the boxing experts point to the Filipino congressman as the likely beneficiary of a judges' decision after 12 rounds.
Rappler sports editor and Ring magazine contributor Ryan Songolia believes because of Pacman's anticipated aggression and display of body language that judges seek, he will win by decision.
Rappler boxing reporter Carlos Cinco foresees a slugfest that would test how long Bradley's chin could hold up, although he concedes the American boxer would be a harder target to hit. But in the end, he thinks it would be a unanimous decision for Pacquiao.
Boxing referee Danrex Tapdasan anticipates Bradley would do better compared to their first bout in 2012, but Pacquiao would also up his game, likely leading to another close and debatable decision in favour of Manny.
Despite the trash talk that Bradley had dissed the past few days, he admitted to Badlefthook that his opponent "has always been a great fighter and from what I have heard he is a great person."
However, Bradley still insist that the compassion which Manny acquired the past two years because of his newfound faith killed the fire that "made Oscar De La Hoya quit on his stool and the fire that knocked out Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton and badly damaged Antonio Margarito are just no longer there."
He said the skillset remains, but Pacquiao could no longer turn it on at will, citing Manny's last fight with Brandon Rios wherein Rios was already against the ropes but Pacquiao stopped throwing punches, stepped back and let Rios out.
Bradley stressed boxing is a hurt business and in 36 minutes they will try to outpunch each other in the ring "I am not expecting any compassion from him."
The unbeaten boxer, at the same time, promised "absolutely no compassion" would be forthcoming from him. "In that ring it is all about my family eating or his family eats. Manny Pacquiao will have to knock me out to stop my family from eating," Badlefthook quoted Bradley.
Bleacher Report, in round by round forecast, gives Pacquiao 5 rounds and Bradley 7 rounds as follows:
Round 1: 10-9 Pacquiao
Round 2: 10-9 Bradley
Round 3: 10-9 Bradley
Round 4: 10-9 Pacquiao
Round 5: 10-9 Bradley
Round 6: 10-9 Pacquiao
Round 7: 10-9 Bradley
Round 8: 10-9 Bradley
Round 9: 10-9 Pacquiao
Round 10: 10-9 Bradley
Round 11: 10-9 Pacquiao
Round 12: 10-9 Bradley
With those results, Bleacher Report predicts the initial card would read 114-114, but the next two cards would be 115-113, favouring Bradley, who would be pleased that it would crush all doubts about the legitimacy of his first victory. However, while Pacquiao would likely concede it was a good fight, he would express being open to a second rematch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness