Queensland Land Court Recommends Rejection of Proposed $6.2-Billion Hancock Alpha Coal Project in Galilee Basin
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2014 9:11 AM EST
To approve or reject - those are the options suggested by the Queensland Land Court to the state government on the planned $6.2-billion Alpha Coal Mine in Galilee Basin. The project is a joint venture between Australia's richest person Gina Rinehart and GVK, an Indian conglomerate.
If it would approve the application for a mining licence, Land Court member Paul Smith - who recommended rejection - urged for stricter water testing and compensation scheme with graziers if the mine would damage the area's ground water.
The project, which aims to export 30 million tonnes of coal annually, has secured federal and state approvals, but a farmers' group and environmentalists tried to oppose the key Queensland project by launching a legal challenge.
The ball is now in the hands of the state government if it would implement the non-binding recommendation of the Land Court on the Alpha Coal project.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28