Despite License from Health Canada to Buy Cannabis from British Columbia Growers, RCMP Seizes Marijuana Shipment for Tweed, Mettrum Twice at Kelowna Airport
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2014 9:00 AM EST
Despite the shade of legality that medical marijuana has recently acquired from courts and even stock exchanges, the warning of experts that it is too early to place a person's well earned money in the industry via shares acquisition has some truth to it.
A judge checks on a marijuana sample during a judging session at Uruguay's second "Cannabis Cup" at a hotel in downtown Montevideo in this June 22, 2013
In the case of Tweed Marijuana (TSX: V.TWD), the Toronto-based firm that is the first publicly listed medical cannabis company in Canada, despite it acquiring a licence from Health Canada to buy weed from British Columbia growers, the shipments were confiscated nevertheless by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) twice last week.
Tweed said the RCMP seized the shipment from it on Friday at the Kelowna Airport RCMP even if it informed the RCMP ahead of time of the shipment be transparent in its transaction, disclosed Tweed Chairman Bruce Linton.
Huffington Post reports that another Toronto-based medical marijuana company, Mettrum - one of 12 licenced by Health Canada - suffered the same fate under the hands of the RCMP at the same gateway.
Just two working days after Tweed's start of trading at the TSX, its share prices went up to $3.6 based on 6 million shares sold, resulting in the company now having a market cap of $126 million on 35.1 million shares outstanding.
Other medical pot firms also listed in TSX are 88 Capital (TSX:V.EEC), Pinnacle Digest (TSX:V.PFN), Next Gen Metals (CSE:C.N.. Stock Forum), Alchemist Mining (TSX:V.AMS), Enertopia (CSE:C.TOP, Stock Forum) and Maple Leaf Green World (TSX:V.MGW).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown