NBA News: Jonas Valanciunas DUI Charge Creates Unnecessary Distraction for Playoff-Bound Toronto Raptors
By James Patrick Quizon | April 9, 2014 2:04 AM EST
Toronto Raptors sophomore center Jonas Valanciunas was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol on Monday after allegedly being spotted with open beer bottle while passing by a drive-thru, according to a report from CBC Sports.
NBA: Toronto Raptors at Miami Heat
“Valanciunas is charged with having greater than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood and is to appear in court in nearby Collingwoodon April 22” according the report.
Police officers traced the vehicle to Valanciunas’ home where they arrested the Raptors big man.
"I hold myself to a high standard and take my role as a member of the Toronto Raptors very seriously," Valanciunas said via an official statement.
"I apologize to the organization, my teammates, my family and my fans, and regret any negativity this incident has brought upon them."
Aside from the legal troubles, the more pressing concern for Valanciunas is that the situation could create a distraction for the playoff-bound Raptors, which is appearing in the postseason for the first time in six years.
The 21-year-old Lithuanian has been one of the key players for Toronto this season averaging 11 points and 8.6 rebounds in 76 games.
The April 22nd court date will fall smack in the middle of the Raptors first round series where they have homecourt advantage. If found guilty, Valanciunas could also face suspension from the NBA office.
“We take this matter very seriously," said the Raptors official statement "as we have the highest expectations for all members of our organization. At this time we are continuing to gather information and we will comment further when appropriate.”
The Raptors host the lowly Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday and Valanciunas is expected to be drilled by the media in his first public appearance since the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date