NBA News: Jonas Valanciunas DUI Charge Creates Unnecessary Distraction for Playoff-Bound Toronto Raptors
By James Patrick Quizon | April 9, 2014 2:04 AM EST
Toronto Raptors sophomore center Jonas Valanciunas was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol on Monday after allegedly being spotted with open beer bottle while passing by a drive-thru, according to a report from CBC Sports.
NBA: Toronto Raptors at Miami Heat
“Valanciunas is charged with having greater than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood and is to appear in court in nearby Collingwoodon April 22” according the report.
Police officers traced the vehicle to Valanciunas’ home where they arrested the Raptors big man.
"I hold myself to a high standard and take my role as a member of the Toronto Raptors very seriously," Valanciunas said via an official statement.
"I apologize to the organization, my teammates, my family and my fans, and regret any negativity this incident has brought upon them."
Aside from the legal troubles, the more pressing concern for Valanciunas is that the situation could create a distraction for the playoff-bound Raptors, which is appearing in the postseason for the first time in six years.
The 21-year-old Lithuanian has been one of the key players for Toronto this season averaging 11 points and 8.6 rebounds in 76 games.
The April 22nd court date will fall smack in the middle of the Raptors first round series where they have homecourt advantage. If found guilty, Valanciunas could also face suspension from the NBA office.
“We take this matter very seriously," said the Raptors official statement "as we have the highest expectations for all members of our organization. At this time we are continuing to gather information and we will comment further when appropriate.”
The Raptors host the lowly Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday and Valanciunas is expected to be drilled by the media in his first public appearance since the incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown