Oscar Pistorius Cries in Court after Recollecting Valentine's Day Gift for Reeva Steenkamp
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 8, 2014 10:39 PM EST
Speaking of the moments leading up to the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in February last year, Oscar Pistorius cried in court on Tuesday, recollecting the Valentine's Day gifts they were to give each other.
Oscar Pistorius (Photo: Reuters)
Taking his stand for the second time, the athlete began describing the moments that led to the shooting of Steenkamp, in the early hours of Valentine's Day last year.
Pistorius reiterated that he did not deliberately shoot Steenkamp in his home and, like always, argued that he mistook her for an intruder. He told the court that he was overcome with fear when he heard a noise from the bathroom. Describing the noise, he said at the trial: "That's the moment everything changed".
The 27-year-old described how he got out of bed on his stumps, found his gun under the bed and made his way to the passage from his bedroom to the bathroom.
"There's no barrier between me and the bathroom window. I immediately thought that they could be there at any moment. The first thing that ran through my mind was that I needed to arm myself. I needed to protect Reeva and I need to get my gun," he said in a trembling voice.
Pistorius said that he also whispered to Steenkamp to get down and call the police, assuming she was still in bed. He said that just before he got to the bathroom, he heard the toilet door slamming shut. It confirmed that someone was in the bathroom.
Pistorius, better known as 'the Blade Runner' due to the carbon-fire prosthetic limbs he uses in competitions, has been accused of killing Steenkamp deliberately, by firing four rounds of shots from a 9mm pistol, through a locked toilet door.
The Olympic sprinter has always argued that he mistook his 29-year-old girlfriend for an intruder, hiding in the toilet at his luxury Pretoria home. The Paralympic gold-medalist could face at least 25 years in prison, if found guilty of murder.
Earlier on Monday, when he took the stand for the first time, Pistorious apologized to Steenkamp's family and stated that he was "simply trying to protect" her.
"I have terrible nightmares where I wake up and smell Reeva", he told the court, adding that he has been on anti-depressants and sedatives since her death. He said that he is barely able to sleep and has lost considerable amount of weight since the event in 2013.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch