NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts in New York City
By Parismita Goswami | April 8, 2014 9:53 PM EST
NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts (NASA)
Among the artifacts to be auctioned include the sight ring, a small polarizing filter put on a camera which was used by astronaut James Irwin on Apollo 15. The sight ring is estimated to be sold at $20,000 to $30,000 by Irwin's estate.
"It was used in the module when it landed on the moon and also on takeoff. It's extremely rare, probably the only one in private hands." ABC News quoted Cassandra Hatton, Bonham's space history specialist.
Another attractive item is an Apollo 12 shoulder strap set with lunar dust. It was used when astronauts Charles Conrad and Alan Bean performed two broad surface explorations during which they collected a large amount of lunar dust on their gloves, suits and flight equipment. The strap is estimated to be sold off at $25,000 to $35,000.
The sale is remarkable because "we have items that came directly from astronauts, items that they carried into lunar orbit with them, items that went to the lunar surface and items that have lunar dust on them," said Hatton.
Other highlights include Apollo 11 mission's surface checklist sheet with explanations by astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The data allowed Aldrin and Neil Armstrong to return to earth. It is considered one of the most substantial sets of notations ever made on the moon's surface and estimated pre-sale of $35,000 to $45,000.
Other items include a Mercury era spacesuit which is estimated to be auctioned at $8,000 to $12,000.
A Soviet-era Strizh spacesuit designed to protect astronauts from expulsion is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000. It is one of 27 spacesuits created for training and test purposes between 1981 and 1991.
American flags flown on various missions also are in the sale that includes a silk version carried by Aldrin on Apollo 11 moon mission. It's estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.
Photo credit: NASA
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]