NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts in New York City
By Parismita Goswami | April 8, 2014 9:53 PM EST
NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts (NASA)
Among the artifacts to be auctioned include the sight ring, a small polarizing filter put on a camera which was used by astronaut James Irwin on Apollo 15. The sight ring is estimated to be sold at $20,000 to $30,000 by Irwin's estate.
"It was used in the module when it landed on the moon and also on takeoff. It's extremely rare, probably the only one in private hands." ABC News quoted Cassandra Hatton, Bonham's space history specialist.
Another attractive item is an Apollo 12 shoulder strap set with lunar dust. It was used when astronauts Charles Conrad and Alan Bean performed two broad surface explorations during which they collected a large amount of lunar dust on their gloves, suits and flight equipment. The strap is estimated to be sold off at $25,000 to $35,000.
The sale is remarkable because "we have items that came directly from astronauts, items that they carried into lunar orbit with them, items that went to the lunar surface and items that have lunar dust on them," said Hatton.
Other highlights include Apollo 11 mission's surface checklist sheet with explanations by astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The data allowed Aldrin and Neil Armstrong to return to earth. It is considered one of the most substantial sets of notations ever made on the moon's surface and estimated pre-sale of $35,000 to $45,000.
Other items include a Mercury era spacesuit which is estimated to be auctioned at $8,000 to $12,000.
A Soviet-era Strizh spacesuit designed to protect astronauts from expulsion is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000. It is one of 27 spacesuits created for training and test purposes between 1981 and 1991.
American flags flown on various missions also are in the sale that includes a silk version carried by Aldrin on Apollo 11 moon mission. It's estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.
Photo credit: NASA
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports