NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts in New York City
By Parismita Goswami | April 8, 2014 9:53 PM EST
NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts (NASA)
Among the artifacts to be auctioned include the sight ring, a small polarizing filter put on a camera which was used by astronaut James Irwin on Apollo 15. The sight ring is estimated to be sold at $20,000 to $30,000 by Irwin's estate.
"It was used in the module when it landed on the moon and also on takeoff. It's extremely rare, probably the only one in private hands." ABC News quoted Cassandra Hatton, Bonham's space history specialist.
Another attractive item is an Apollo 12 shoulder strap set with lunar dust. It was used when astronauts Charles Conrad and Alan Bean performed two broad surface explorations during which they collected a large amount of lunar dust on their gloves, suits and flight equipment. The strap is estimated to be sold off at $25,000 to $35,000.
The sale is remarkable because "we have items that came directly from astronauts, items that they carried into lunar orbit with them, items that went to the lunar surface and items that have lunar dust on them," said Hatton.
Other highlights include Apollo 11 mission's surface checklist sheet with explanations by astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The data allowed Aldrin and Neil Armstrong to return to earth. It is considered one of the most substantial sets of notations ever made on the moon's surface and estimated pre-sale of $35,000 to $45,000.
Other items include a Mercury era spacesuit which is estimated to be auctioned at $8,000 to $12,000.
A Soviet-era Strizh spacesuit designed to protect astronauts from expulsion is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000. It is one of 27 spacesuits created for training and test purposes between 1981 and 1991.
American flags flown on various missions also are in the sale that includes a silk version carried by Aldrin on Apollo 11 moon mission. It's estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.
Photo credit: NASA
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown