NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts in New York City
By Parismita Goswami | April 8, 2014 9:53 PM EST
NASA to Auction Apollo Mission Artifacts (NASA)
Among the artifacts to be auctioned include the sight ring, a small polarizing filter put on a camera which was used by astronaut James Irwin on Apollo 15. The sight ring is estimated to be sold at $20,000 to $30,000 by Irwin's estate.
"It was used in the module when it landed on the moon and also on takeoff. It's extremely rare, probably the only one in private hands." ABC News quoted Cassandra Hatton, Bonham's space history specialist.
Another attractive item is an Apollo 12 shoulder strap set with lunar dust. It was used when astronauts Charles Conrad and Alan Bean performed two broad surface explorations during which they collected a large amount of lunar dust on their gloves, suits and flight equipment. The strap is estimated to be sold off at $25,000 to $35,000.
The sale is remarkable because "we have items that came directly from astronauts, items that they carried into lunar orbit with them, items that went to the lunar surface and items that have lunar dust on them," said Hatton.
Other highlights include Apollo 11 mission's surface checklist sheet with explanations by astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The data allowed Aldrin and Neil Armstrong to return to earth. It is considered one of the most substantial sets of notations ever made on the moon's surface and estimated pre-sale of $35,000 to $45,000.
Other items include a Mercury era spacesuit which is estimated to be auctioned at $8,000 to $12,000.
A Soviet-era Strizh spacesuit designed to protect astronauts from expulsion is estimated at $15,000 to $20,000. It is one of 27 spacesuits created for training and test purposes between 1981 and 1991.
American flags flown on various missions also are in the sale that includes a silk version carried by Aldrin on Apollo 11 moon mission. It's estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.
Photo credit: NASA
(Edited by Anu James)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales