2014 NBA Playoffs Race Update: Grizz Fall, Suns Rise to Grab 8th Seed
By James Patrick Quizon | April 8, 2014 9:48 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies needed a victory against NBA’s best San Antonio Spurs while the Phoenix Suns also wanted the win versus yet another top team in the league in the Oklahoma City Thunder last Sunday. Only one performed above par and as a result is now ahead of the race for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Dallas Mavericks
The Grizzlies fell to the Spurs big time, 112-92 despite the defending West champions missing lead guard Tony Parker, who had to leave the game in the middle of the first quarter because of a back injury.
Meanwhile, the Suns surprised the Thunder with an inspiring 122-115 victory at home. Phoenix almost collapsed in the fourth quarter as OKC battled back by XX points down but Goran Dragic, P.J. Tucker and company was composed enough to hold off Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the rest of the Thunder to get the all-important W.
As a result, the Suns are now one game ahead of the Grizzlies in the West team standings.
Battle for the West’s Final Slots:
6. Golden State Warriors (48-29)
7. Dallas Mavericks (47-31)
8. Phoenix Suns (46-31)
9. Memphis Grizzlies (45-32)
Golden State Warriors (2 home, 3 away) - DEN, @LAL, @POR, MIN, @DEN
Dallas Mavericks (2 home, 2 away) - @UTA, SAS, PHX, @MEM
Memphis Grizzlies (2 home, 3 away) - MIA, PHI, @LAL, @PHX, DAL
Phoenix Suns (1 home, 4 away) - @NOP, @SAS, @DAL, MEM, @SAC
However, all is not lost for Memphis even as the Golden State Warriors (48-29) at sixth place and Dallas Mavericks (47-31) at seventh are not out of the woods yet. All four teams are still in danger of being the bubble team in this four-squad race for three postseason slots.
The Suns still have the toughest schedule left to end the season with four out of five games on the road.-- three of which are marquee match-ups against the Mavericks (in Dallas) and the Grizzlies (in Phoenix).
The Warriors need three more wins to officially clinch and they have the easiest schedule as well with games against scrub teams and/or lottery-bound squads in the Nuggets (twice), Lakers and Timberwolves.
Which three teams will make the postseason? And which one will get the boot?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks