2014 NBA Playoffs Race Update: Grizz Fall, Suns Rise to Grab 8th Seed
By James Patrick Quizon | April 8, 2014 9:48 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies needed a victory against NBA’s best San Antonio Spurs while the Phoenix Suns also wanted the win versus yet another top team in the league in the Oklahoma City Thunder last Sunday. Only one performed above par and as a result is now ahead of the race for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Dallas Mavericks
The Grizzlies fell to the Spurs big time, 112-92 despite the defending West champions missing lead guard Tony Parker, who had to leave the game in the middle of the first quarter because of a back injury.
Meanwhile, the Suns surprised the Thunder with an inspiring 122-115 victory at home. Phoenix almost collapsed in the fourth quarter as OKC battled back by XX points down but Goran Dragic, P.J. Tucker and company was composed enough to hold off Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the rest of the Thunder to get the all-important W.
As a result, the Suns are now one game ahead of the Grizzlies in the West team standings.
Battle for the West’s Final Slots:
6. Golden State Warriors (48-29)
7. Dallas Mavericks (47-31)
8. Phoenix Suns (46-31)
9. Memphis Grizzlies (45-32)
Golden State Warriors (2 home, 3 away) - DEN, @LAL, @POR, MIN, @DEN
Dallas Mavericks (2 home, 2 away) - @UTA, SAS, PHX, @MEM
Memphis Grizzlies (2 home, 3 away) - MIA, PHI, @LAL, @PHX, DAL
Phoenix Suns (1 home, 4 away) - @NOP, @SAS, @DAL, MEM, @SAC
However, all is not lost for Memphis even as the Golden State Warriors (48-29) at sixth place and Dallas Mavericks (47-31) at seventh are not out of the woods yet. All four teams are still in danger of being the bubble team in this four-squad race for three postseason slots.
The Suns still have the toughest schedule left to end the season with four out of five games on the road.-- three of which are marquee match-ups against the Mavericks (in Dallas) and the Grizzlies (in Phoenix).
The Warriors need three more wins to officially clinch and they have the easiest schedule as well with games against scrub teams and/or lottery-bound squads in the Nuggets (twice), Lakers and Timberwolves.
Which three teams will make the postseason? And which one will get the boot?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports