Box Office Collection: 'Maan Karate' Outperforms Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' in Chennai
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 8, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" has reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" at the Chennai box office. [Also Read "Maan Karate" Overseas Collections]
Maan Karate (Facebook)
"Maan Karate," which released on 4 April, took a fantastic opening during the initial three days (4-6 April) in Chennai. According to Behindwoods, "Maan Karate" grossed ₹1.41 crore from 303 tracked shows in its opening weekend.
The website states that "Veeram" raked in ₹1.23 crore (306 tracked shows) and "Jilla" minted ₹1.32 crore (321 tracked shows) in their debut weekend. Both the films released on the same day (10 January), thus eating into each other's business.
On the other hand, "Maan Karate" had a big release despite Arulnithi-Chimbu Devan's "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum" ("OKMK") hitting screens on the same day. The Sivakarthikeyan starrer had carried a lot of positive pre-release buzz, which helped the film take a fantastic opening in its first weekend. Moreover, the low-key promotions of Chimbu Devan's "OKMK" also worked in favour of "Maan Karate."
The fantasy, romantic entertainer took one of the best ever openings in Chennai and is the highest ever in Sivakarthikeyan's film career.
Despite receiving average reviews, "Maan Karate" did exceptionally well in the first three days in Tamil Nadu. The film has reportedly grossed around ₹12 crore in the state, which is higher than the collections fetched by Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatham Vaalibar Sangam" ("VVS").
The Thirukumaran directorial is expected to end its first week on a good note. It remains to be seen as to how the film fares in its second week considering that Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" is hitting screens on 11 April. The film is carrying positive buzz and is expected to take a good opening on the first day. The action thriller flick might affect the business of "Maan Karate."
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak: Chrome Stormtrooper Commander and Trooper May Guard The New Villain
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown