Box Office Collection: 'Maan Karate' Outperforms Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' in Chennai
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 8, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" has reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" at the Chennai box office. [Also Read "Maan Karate" Overseas Collections]
Maan Karate (Facebook)
"Maan Karate," which released on 4 April, took a fantastic opening during the initial three days (4-6 April) in Chennai. According to Behindwoods, "Maan Karate" grossed ₹1.41 crore from 303 tracked shows in its opening weekend.
The website states that "Veeram" raked in ₹1.23 crore (306 tracked shows) and "Jilla" minted ₹1.32 crore (321 tracked shows) in their debut weekend. Both the films released on the same day (10 January), thus eating into each other's business.
On the other hand, "Maan Karate" had a big release despite Arulnithi-Chimbu Devan's "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum" ("OKMK") hitting screens on the same day. The Sivakarthikeyan starrer had carried a lot of positive pre-release buzz, which helped the film take a fantastic opening in its first weekend. Moreover, the low-key promotions of Chimbu Devan's "OKMK" also worked in favour of "Maan Karate."
The fantasy, romantic entertainer took one of the best ever openings in Chennai and is the highest ever in Sivakarthikeyan's film career.
Despite receiving average reviews, "Maan Karate" did exceptionally well in the first three days in Tamil Nadu. The film has reportedly grossed around ₹12 crore in the state, which is higher than the collections fetched by Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatham Vaalibar Sangam" ("VVS").
The Thirukumaran directorial is expected to end its first week on a good note. It remains to be seen as to how the film fares in its second week considering that Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" is hitting screens on 11 April. The film is carrying positive buzz and is expected to take a good opening on the first day. The action thriller flick might affect the business of "Maan Karate."
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build