Box Office Collection: 'Maan Karate' Outperforms Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' in Chennai
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 8, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" has reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" at the Chennai box office. [Also Read "Maan Karate" Overseas Collections]
Maan Karate (Facebook)
"Maan Karate," which released on 4 April, took a fantastic opening during the initial three days (4-6 April) in Chennai. According to Behindwoods, "Maan Karate" grossed ₹1.41 crore from 303 tracked shows in its opening weekend.
The website states that "Veeram" raked in ₹1.23 crore (306 tracked shows) and "Jilla" minted ₹1.32 crore (321 tracked shows) in their debut weekend. Both the films released on the same day (10 January), thus eating into each other's business.
On the other hand, "Maan Karate" had a big release despite Arulnithi-Chimbu Devan's "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum" ("OKMK") hitting screens on the same day. The Sivakarthikeyan starrer had carried a lot of positive pre-release buzz, which helped the film take a fantastic opening in its first weekend. Moreover, the low-key promotions of Chimbu Devan's "OKMK" also worked in favour of "Maan Karate."
The fantasy, romantic entertainer took one of the best ever openings in Chennai and is the highest ever in Sivakarthikeyan's film career.
Despite receiving average reviews, "Maan Karate" did exceptionally well in the first three days in Tamil Nadu. The film has reportedly grossed around ₹12 crore in the state, which is higher than the collections fetched by Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatham Vaalibar Sangam" ("VVS").
The Thirukumaran directorial is expected to end its first week on a good note. It remains to be seen as to how the film fares in its second week considering that Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" is hitting screens on 11 April. The film is carrying positive buzz and is expected to take a good opening on the first day. The action thriller flick might affect the business of "Maan Karate."
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' RECAP Season 4 Episode 10 [Mid-Season Finale]: Louis Finds Out About Mike's Truth In This Is Rome [SPOILERS]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch