Box Office Collection: 'Maan Karate' Outperforms Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' in Chennai
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 8, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" has reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" at the Chennai box office. [Also Read "Maan Karate" Overseas Collections]
Maan Karate (Facebook)
"Maan Karate," which released on 4 April, took a fantastic opening during the initial three days (4-6 April) in Chennai. According to Behindwoods, "Maan Karate" grossed ₹1.41 crore from 303 tracked shows in its opening weekend.
The website states that "Veeram" raked in ₹1.23 crore (306 tracked shows) and "Jilla" minted ₹1.32 crore (321 tracked shows) in their debut weekend. Both the films released on the same day (10 January), thus eating into each other's business.
On the other hand, "Maan Karate" had a big release despite Arulnithi-Chimbu Devan's "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum" ("OKMK") hitting screens on the same day. The Sivakarthikeyan starrer had carried a lot of positive pre-release buzz, which helped the film take a fantastic opening in its first weekend. Moreover, the low-key promotions of Chimbu Devan's "OKMK" also worked in favour of "Maan Karate."
The fantasy, romantic entertainer took one of the best ever openings in Chennai and is the highest ever in Sivakarthikeyan's film career.
Despite receiving average reviews, "Maan Karate" did exceptionally well in the first three days in Tamil Nadu. The film has reportedly grossed around ₹12 crore in the state, which is higher than the collections fetched by Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatham Vaalibar Sangam" ("VVS").
The Thirukumaran directorial is expected to end its first week on a good note. It remains to be seen as to how the film fares in its second week considering that Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" is hitting screens on 11 April. The film is carrying positive buzz and is expected to take a good opening on the first day. The action thriller flick might affect the business of "Maan Karate."
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers