Box Office Collection: 'Maan Karate' Outperforms Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' in Chennai
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 8, 2014 6:09 PM EST
Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" has reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" at the Chennai box office. [Also Read "Maan Karate" Overseas Collections]
Maan Karate (Facebook)
"Maan Karate," which released on 4 April, took a fantastic opening during the initial three days (4-6 April) in Chennai. According to Behindwoods, "Maan Karate" grossed ₹1.41 crore from 303 tracked shows in its opening weekend.
The website states that "Veeram" raked in ₹1.23 crore (306 tracked shows) and "Jilla" minted ₹1.32 crore (321 tracked shows) in their debut weekend. Both the films released on the same day (10 January), thus eating into each other's business.
On the other hand, "Maan Karate" had a big release despite Arulnithi-Chimbu Devan's "Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanigalum" ("OKMK") hitting screens on the same day. The Sivakarthikeyan starrer had carried a lot of positive pre-release buzz, which helped the film take a fantastic opening in its first weekend. Moreover, the low-key promotions of Chimbu Devan's "OKMK" also worked in favour of "Maan Karate."
The fantasy, romantic entertainer took one of the best ever openings in Chennai and is the highest ever in Sivakarthikeyan's film career.
Despite receiving average reviews, "Maan Karate" did exceptionally well in the first three days in Tamil Nadu. The film has reportedly grossed around ₹12 crore in the state, which is higher than the collections fetched by Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatham Vaalibar Sangam" ("VVS").
The Thirukumaran directorial is expected to end its first week on a good note. It remains to be seen as to how the film fares in its second week considering that Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" is hitting screens on 11 April. The film is carrying positive buzz and is expected to take a good opening on the first day. The action thriller flick might affect the business of "Maan Karate."
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation