Japan’s Volcanic Island Niijima Swallows its Neighbor
By Parismita Goswami | April 8, 2014 6:05 PM EST
Japan's volcanic island, Niijima located in the Philippine Sea has grown in size ever since it first emerged last November, and has now consumed its nearby island Nishino-shima.
Earth Observatory, NASA
Japan’s Volcanic Island, Niijima Swallows Its Neighbor (Earth Observatory, NASA)
The merging of the islands was clearly seen from satellite images captured by NASA's Earth Observatory on 30 March.
Niijima emerged out of the sea as a result of volcanic eruption in the western Pacific Ocean and sits about (550 yards) 500 meters from the older Nishino-shima, which was formed from a volcano that erupted 40 years ago. Due to its continued eruption, Niijima merged with its sister volcanic island, Nishino-shima.
The new island is about 3,280 feet across and is 196 feet above sea level. The Bonin Island chain, where both Niijima and Nishino-shima are situated comprises of 30 small islands, all of which were formed by the outburst of an ancient underwater volcano.
100 different kinds of indigenous plants and 14 breeds of animals have evolved in the islands over the time.
The images of Nishino-shima prior to it being swallowed up by Niijima were captured by NASA's Operational Land Imager. The images were taken on 30 December 2013 and 30 March 2014.
When Niijima first erupted, experts believed it would soon trip back under the sea, but there is no apparent sign of it disappearing, as it have merged with Nishino-shima and is continuously growing. The new island is expected to last longer than expected, according to Japanese scientists.
"A lot of it depends on how fast it erodes. Until it shuts off, it's too soon to tell." CNN News quoted Ken Rubin, a professor of University of Hawaii at Manoa and expert in deep submarine volcanism.
The newly merged island is about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) south of Tokyo in the Ogasawara Islands, also known as the Bonin Islands.
Photo Credit: Earth Observatory, NASA
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones