Farewell to Nathan Berry
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 8, 2014 4:24 PM EST
It was a sad and mourning day for the Australians as famous jockey Nathan Berry was finally given his farewell in Grand Pavilion at Rosehill Gardens.
Thousands of Berry's supporters, friends and families gathered during this last tearful departure of the young icon.
Nathan Berry was provided a guard of honour and visitors wore blue to match with his favourite color.
Berry left the jockey world only at the age of 23 after suffering from Norse Syndrome. He was initially admitted to a hospital at Singapore after he suffered a collapse at the track-work in Kanji. He was later shifted to Australia on a medical chartered flight, but his condition worsened, followed by his untimely death.
"He has left a massive hole in my heart and it will never be filled...He gave me the best 23 years of my life and even though he is not beside me he will always look after me and guide me and be my best mate for life ... It has been a privilege to be your brother," a grief stricken Tommy Berry said of his sibling during the farewell.
Nathan's younger brother Tommy was unable to accept the shock as he always expected his brother to stand by his side at any time and race together.
"We would always sleep together on the bottom bunk and once mum and dad moved us to single beds, when the light went out we would get out and push the single beds together...We didn't want to be apart," Berry added.
Nathan's wife Whitney was sad with the unexpected loss of her husband and referred to him as a "compassionate, respectful and caring" man.
"I am the lucky one that got to marry him and have the best five years of my life," Whitney said.
She further added, despite such serious condition in bed at Singapore, Nathan was always concerned for her welfare and said everything would be fine and he will back to normal.
But things didn't go as Berry consoled his wife, and the nation has to bear this sad loss that nobody could comprehend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier