Schapelle Corby Admitted To Drug Trafficking, Cellmate Claims
By Anne Lu | April 8, 2014 3:42 PM EST
Schapelle Corby admitted to trafficking drugs into Bali three times before she was finally arrested, according to her former cellmate. Fellow Australian Renae Lawrence, one of the Bali Nine drug couriers, also added that Corby only “acted crazy” to get her sentence cut.
Australian Schapelle Corby looks on during her defence plea in a Denpasar courtroom in Bali in this April 28, 2005 file photo. Indonesia granted early parole on February 7, 2014 to convicted Australian drug trafficker Corby despite calls from some MPs for the high profile prisoner to serve out her full term. Corby was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2005 for trying to smuggle 4kg of marijuana into Bali. REUTERS/Bagus Othman/Files
Ms Corby was convicted of carrying 4.1 kilos of marijuana in Bali in 2005. She has always maintained that the drugs were hers, saying that a criminal gang operating at an Australian airport planted the drugs in her bag.
In February, after serving nine years of her 15-year sentence, she was granted parole.
In an interview that was broadcast by Ten Network on Monday, Ms Lawrence, who lived in the same cell block as Ms Corby for five years, made serious allegations against the 36-year-old Gold Coast native.
She said that Ms Corby “did a good job on keeping secrets, but she let one slip one night” to her and to another cellmate.
“She said that she knew the marijuana was in the body bag, but the person who was supposed to be at the airport at the same time didn’t show up for work or couldn’t be there for some strange reason, I don’t know,” Ms Lawrence said. “That’s how she got caught.”
The cellmate added, “She told me and the other prisoner that she’d done it more than this time. She got away with it before... and she said how she had to keep saying that she wasn’t guilty because if she changed her mind she was scared she would lose all the Australian support.”
Ms Corby apparently brought drugs to the Southeast Asian country three times before she was arrested. The first time she didn’t know about the drugs until she got through the airport, but the rest of the times she knew.
And although she had repeatedly denied smoking cannabis, she allegedly had been a user “since she was a teenager.”
Ms Corby has maintained her innocence from the start, but unfortunately for her, the Indonesian justice didn’t side with her.
One thing that did work was her “acting.”
According to Ms Lawrence, Ms Corby only “acted crazy” so that she would get more sympathy and more time off from the President of Indonesia.
“She would put on more of an act when someone important came into the block like the doctor of the jail boss,” Ms Lawrence claimed.
Ms Corby was originally given a 20-year sentence, but was cut to 15 years in 2005. The sentence was brought back to 20 years, and was again slashed by five years in 2010 after she begged for clemency due to her mental illness.
The interview appeared to be motivated by Ms Lawrence’s anger towards Ms Corby, may have harmed her chances of being paroled.
“The claims by Renae Lawrence that Schapelle confessed to her that she had knowingly smuggled the marijuana in her boogie board bag are false,” a statement released by the Corby family said, as obtained by the Sydney Morning Herald.
“The further claims by Renae Lawrence that Schapelle had done so on many occasions are preposterous, maliciously false and a creation of her own fantasy.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers