Rivals No More, Maria Sharapova Now BFFs with Serena Williams as She Has All Praises for the Top-Ranked Female Tennis Athlete
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 8, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams have always had an awkward relationship on and off the tennis court. However, it seems like Sharapova and Williams are now willing to set aside the feuds they had in the past to become acquaintances. Even though they play the same sport, they could probably leave their rivalry on the tennis court and be amicable with each other.
Serena Williams shakes hands with Maria Sharapova after their match on day eleven of the Sony Open at Crandon Tennis Center. Williams won 6-4, 6-3.
Following Sharapova's defeat from Williams at the 2014 Sony Open, the Russian athlete has all-praises for the top-ranked female tennis athlete in the world, Tennis Earth reported. She said that Williams is an incredible champion and everything she has achieved in the world of tennis was truly extraordinary.
"She's an incredible champion," said Sharapova. "That's the reason she's at the top," she added. "She has accomplished a lot, I mean, her tennis speaks for itself, and I have nothing to lose out there against her."
Williams has extended her winning streak to 16 wins over Sharapova when she defeated and ousted the Russian athlete in the semifinals of the 2014 Sony Open. Even though Sharapova couldn't keep up with their head-to-head tally, she revealed that she is always looking forward to play with Williams simply because she continues to learn from the American athlete. "You learn so much from that type of level which she produces," said the Russian athlete who currently ranks eighth in the world.
Sharapova said that she works on the areas the need improvement every time she finishes a match with Williams. "Against someone like her who's so powerful, explosive, and in there every point, that teaches you to make sure that you're in there every point, and you're doing your thing consistently, not just for a short period of time," she said.
Recently, Williams has also praised Sharapova during her opening match at the BNP Paribas Open when she tweeted, "I'm loving Maria S Nike outfit." Sharapova then responded during a post-match conference saying it would be a great idea if the two of them can design outfit for each other.
Maybe there is really no more feud between Sharapova and Williams.
Meanwhile, Sharapova's next tournament will be the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix which will be held in Germany from April 21 to April 27. She is reportedly working hard in training and hopes to play good tennis against other participants in the said tournament.
MORE ENTERTAINMENT/SPORTS NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier