Kiwi Politics: New Zealand Not For Sale to Foreigners
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 8, 2014 3:10 PM EST
New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has recently denounced the intention of Prime Minister John Key to sell more of the Kiwi country to foreign ownership.
"This former currency trader doesn't even have his finger on the pulse. He is blind to the fact that 'hot cash' is slashing around the world and being pumped into land and property ownership, often simply for investment," Peters said in a statement.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Brendon Thorne/Pool
The prime minister is "New Zealand's number one real estate salesman," he stressed.
Labour Leader David Cunliffe, in support of Peters, noted Key's policy will make Kiwis inferior buyers of land in their own home country.
Cunliffe said there will always be the possibility that foreign buyers will jack up property prices.
Houses and farms in New Zealand ought to be for New Zealanders, and not owned by foreigners "and absentee owned at that."
"Otherwise you have your property selling at an international market price that your own people can't afford," Cunliffe told TV ONE's Breakfast.
A home is not an asset, Peters said, it is where we also obtain a stake in our country.
But Keys said while house prices in New Zealand have indeed jumped in the past 3 months, these were by only a fraction of the amount.
"If the market was driven by rich foreign investors buying houses and not renting them or living in them you'd expect to see a lot of empty houses in Auckland - and I don't see any evidence of that."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics