Upcoming Bradley Rematch is Not a ‘Cakewalk’, says Pacquiao’s Aussie Conditioning Coach Justin Fortune
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 8, 2014 2:00 PM EST
In just a matter of days, Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley will be able to prove who the better fighter between them really is. Pacquiao's conditioning coach Australian Justine Fortune thinks the rematch is not something easy but believes that Pacquiao should be good to go.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
In a news report by Spin.ph, Fortune shares the same views as Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach as far as Pacquiao's preparation for the rematch is concerned. Roach was in attendance when Pacquiao sparred with former world champion Steve Forbes, Julian Rodriguez and Lyle Rhodes on Saturday. "He's ready to go," said Roach.
Fortune thinks so too. "His conditioning is very good," said the Aussie strength and conditioning coach. "He is eating well and his weight is good," Fortune added. However, even though Fortune is certain that Pacquiao is ready for the rematch, he knows that it is not going to be like a walk in park.
"This is not a cakewalk for Manny."
"You don't take somebody like him lightly," Fortune said.
According to Fortune, Bradley has a "never-say-die" attitude. "He comes to fight and he has something to prove." It is true, because the rematch is as equally important for Bradley as it is for Pacquiao. Nonetheless, Fortune thinks that Pacquiao has a couple of boxing skills that Bradley doesn't have in him.
"Manny has speed and power, and that's a deadly combination," Fortune concluded.
After Pacquiao let Alex Ariza go, he need a new strength and conditioning coach. Fortune isn't literally a new addition to Team Pacquiao because he had previously worked with the Filipino eight-division world champion before so it was more like a student has reunited with his former teacher. Fortune rejoined Pacquiao's team in September 2013 just in time for the preparation for the Brandon Rios bout.
Fortune exclusively sat down in an interview with East Side Boxing where he revealed how he used to train Pacquiao towards physical perfection.
"Whatever he did in the ring, sparring and stuff, we did twice as much as outside the ring-floor work, stomach, a whole range of different exercises, just to put him in condition so he could come out in the 12th round like it was the first round." Fortune said that the key to Pacquiao's victories in the past was the fact that "he was in great shape." Read more of Fortune's interview here.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT ARTICLES:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’