Upcoming Bradley Rematch is Not a ‘Cakewalk’, says Pacquiao’s Aussie Conditioning Coach Justin Fortune
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 8, 2014 2:00 PM EST
In just a matter of days, Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley will be able to prove who the better fighter between them really is. Pacquiao's conditioning coach Australian Justine Fortune thinks the rematch is not something easy but believes that Pacquiao should be good to go.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
In a news report by Spin.ph, Fortune shares the same views as Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach as far as Pacquiao's preparation for the rematch is concerned. Roach was in attendance when Pacquiao sparred with former world champion Steve Forbes, Julian Rodriguez and Lyle Rhodes on Saturday. "He's ready to go," said Roach.
Fortune thinks so too. "His conditioning is very good," said the Aussie strength and conditioning coach. "He is eating well and his weight is good," Fortune added. However, even though Fortune is certain that Pacquiao is ready for the rematch, he knows that it is not going to be like a walk in park.
"This is not a cakewalk for Manny."
"You don't take somebody like him lightly," Fortune said.
According to Fortune, Bradley has a "never-say-die" attitude. "He comes to fight and he has something to prove." It is true, because the rematch is as equally important for Bradley as it is for Pacquiao. Nonetheless, Fortune thinks that Pacquiao has a couple of boxing skills that Bradley doesn't have in him.
"Manny has speed and power, and that's a deadly combination," Fortune concluded.
After Pacquiao let Alex Ariza go, he need a new strength and conditioning coach. Fortune isn't literally a new addition to Team Pacquiao because he had previously worked with the Filipino eight-division world champion before so it was more like a student has reunited with his former teacher. Fortune rejoined Pacquiao's team in September 2013 just in time for the preparation for the Brandon Rios bout.
Fortune exclusively sat down in an interview with East Side Boxing where he revealed how he used to train Pacquiao towards physical perfection.
"Whatever he did in the ring, sparring and stuff, we did twice as much as outside the ring-floor work, stomach, a whole range of different exercises, just to put him in condition so he could come out in the 12th round like it was the first round." Fortune said that the key to Pacquiao's victories in the past was the fact that "he was in great shape." Read more of Fortune's interview here.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT ARTICLES:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans