EPL Results: Tottenham Thump Sunderland as Sherwood Stays Quiet on Reports of Summer Exit
By Deepak Vikraman | April 8, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Emmanuel Adebayor struck a brace as Tottenham thumped relegation-threatened Sunderland 5-1 in the English Premier League to ease the pressure on manager Tim Sherwood.
Reports ahead of the Monday night game at White Hart Lane suggested Sherwood would be sacked as Spurs manager in the summer, with Louis Van Gaal seemingly the leading candidate to take over.
The only way to silence those reports, at least for the present moment, was to pick up an impressive win over Sunderland, and Tottenham did just that, coming from a goal down to press the cruise mode button courtesy four second half goals.
Lee Cattermole opened the scoring for Sunderland in the 17th minute, latching onto a calamitous pass from Tottenham defender Vlad Chiriches to slot in past goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. However, that was pretty much Sunderland's only bright spot of the night, as Spurs equalised via Adebayor in the 28th minute, with the excellent Christian Eriksen providing the assist.
Eriksen was the creator yet again, as Harry Kane struck his first Premier League goal just before the hour mark to put Spurs in front for the first time. There was no looking back for the home side after that as Eriksen, in the 78th minute, Adebayor, four minutes from time, and Gylfi Sigurdsson, in the second minute of stoppage time, scored to fashion a handsome victory.
"I can't comment on anything on my employment, you will have to ask my employer about that," Sherwood told Sky Sports after the win. "As far as I'm concerned, I set the team out well tonight, we outplayed Sunderland. We knew it would be a tough game, because they have got their threats, and we've done the job well tonight.
"We've got five games left and we think we can win all five games. We don't know where that might take us. "All I was focused on was winning the game tonight, preparing the boys correctly. You've just got to be professional.
"It's been an opportunity to manage this great club and I'm relishing it. My record has been very good. In the Premier League, any manager who has been here, I think my win percentage is higher than any of them."
Tottenham are five points behind faltering Arsenal, who are still clinging onto the fourth and final Champions League place. At the other end of the table, Sunderland, courtesy yet another loss, are rock bottom with 25 points from 31 games, seven adrift of safety, albeit with two games in hand.
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet admitted his team would now need a "miracle" to stave off relegation and keep their place in the Premier League. "We need a miracle, probably," he said. "We need something very unique. If not, it's going to be practically impossible."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design