EPL Results: Tottenham Thump Sunderland as Sherwood Stays Quiet on Reports of Summer Exit
By Deepak Vikraman | April 8, 2014 1:59 PM EST
Emmanuel Adebayor struck a brace as Tottenham thumped relegation-threatened Sunderland 5-1 in the English Premier League to ease the pressure on manager Tim Sherwood.
Reports ahead of the Monday night game at White Hart Lane suggested Sherwood would be sacked as Spurs manager in the summer, with Louis Van Gaal seemingly the leading candidate to take over.
The only way to silence those reports, at least for the present moment, was to pick up an impressive win over Sunderland, and Tottenham did just that, coming from a goal down to press the cruise mode button courtesy four second half goals.
Lee Cattermole opened the scoring for Sunderland in the 17th minute, latching onto a calamitous pass from Tottenham defender Vlad Chiriches to slot in past goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. However, that was pretty much Sunderland's only bright spot of the night, as Spurs equalised via Adebayor in the 28th minute, with the excellent Christian Eriksen providing the assist.
Eriksen was the creator yet again, as Harry Kane struck his first Premier League goal just before the hour mark to put Spurs in front for the first time. There was no looking back for the home side after that as Eriksen, in the 78th minute, Adebayor, four minutes from time, and Gylfi Sigurdsson, in the second minute of stoppage time, scored to fashion a handsome victory.
"I can't comment on anything on my employment, you will have to ask my employer about that," Sherwood told Sky Sports after the win. "As far as I'm concerned, I set the team out well tonight, we outplayed Sunderland. We knew it would be a tough game, because they have got their threats, and we've done the job well tonight.
"We've got five games left and we think we can win all five games. We don't know where that might take us. "All I was focused on was winning the game tonight, preparing the boys correctly. You've just got to be professional.
"It's been an opportunity to manage this great club and I'm relishing it. My record has been very good. In the Premier League, any manager who has been here, I think my win percentage is higher than any of them."
Tottenham are five points behind faltering Arsenal, who are still clinging onto the fourth and final Champions League place. At the other end of the table, Sunderland, courtesy yet another loss, are rock bottom with 25 points from 31 games, seven adrift of safety, albeit with two games in hand.
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet admitted his team would now need a "miracle" to stave off relegation and keep their place in the Premier League. "We need a miracle, probably," he said. "We need something very unique. If not, it's going to be practically impossible."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports