iPhone 6 Release Rumors Slow Down iPhone 5S Sales in China
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 8, 2014 1:03 PM EST
A woman tries the silver colored version of the new iPhone 5S after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
According to MacRumors, the sales of the current Apple flagship phone plummeted in China as reports emerged a larger iPhone was on its way. But Cantor Fitzgerald Analyst Brian White said Asian buyers will most likely to come back around at iPhone 6 release date.
"In the near term, we sensed disappointment around demand for the iPhone 5S. That said, we heard great enthusiasm around the potential for Apple to introduce a larger iPhone form factor in China this year with the iPhone 6. In our view, the iPhone 6 with a larger screen (e.g., 4.7-inch, 5.5-inch) has the potential to meaningfully accelerate Apple's growth trajectory in China during 2H:14. We have not heard this type of excitement in China around the iPhone in at least two years and thus we believe this could be a very special iPhone launch for Apple," White said.
Another reason of the declined sales of iPhone 5S was the availability of iPhone 5 handsets after it was released by two of China Mobile's larger competitors several months ago.
Other carriers also offered discounted iPhone 5 prices to compete with China Mobile. China is one of the biggest markets of Apple's iPhone. It is also one of the main targets of Apple.
Apple was still tight-lipped when it came to the official specs and features of the upcoming iPhone 6. But it was long rumoured the company will release a larger smartphone to enter the phablet category.
Early reports cited iPhone 6 will come in two variants - one with 4.7 inches screen panel and the other with 5.5 inches display. Other rumored features of Apple handset were a faster A8 processor, iOS 8 and touchID fingerprint sensor.
Regarding iPhone 6 release date, the Cupertino-based tech giant has not announced the official launch of iPhone 6 yet. Speculations claimed the device will roll out in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference alongside a new operating system.
Other reports claimed the handset will arrive either in September or October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO