Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/8/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | April 8, 2014 12:56 PM EST
The Australian sharemarket is losing ground for the second day, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) down 0.4 per cent and trading below the 5400pt level. Local shares are now down by just 0.16 per cent so far in April; however are still 0.75 per cent firmer since the start of this calendar year. Volume was significantly held back yesterday due to a Chinese public holiday. Sharemarkets in China are resuming normal trade today. U.S. stocks slumped for the third day overnight, with the tech specific NASDAQ suffering its worst three-day slump in around three years.
Tim Wimborne / Reuters
People look at market display indicators through the window of the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney
Last night Australia and Japan finally agreed on a Free Trade Agreement (FTA); something which has been in the works since 2005. The U.S. has failed to negotiate a similar deal. Perhaps the lack of an Australian automotive industry made the negotiations easier for both parties.
Among the major beneficiaries of this trade agreement are both beef and dairy producers. Australian producers of beef are currently charged a 38.5 per cent tariff on imports; however this is expected to be cut to 19.5 per cent for frozen beef and 23.5 per cent for fresh beef (over 15 years). One of the country's biggest beef producers, Australian Agricultural Company (AAC), is up by 4.45 per cent. AAC is now 3.2 per cent firmer this calendar year and is having its best day of 2014.
Cheese is one of Australia's bigger exports to Japan and is expected to increase by as much as 70 per cent thanks to the FTA. NSW based dairy company, Bega Cheese (BGA) is up 0.5 per cent at lunch, taking the gains so far this year to 11.2 per cent.
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) is one of the better performers at lunch, with its shares up 6.4 per cent. TWE's wine portfolio includes Penfolds, Lindemans, Wolf Blass, Rosemount Estate and Beringer. TWE's new Chief Executive Michael Clarke formally addressed the market on his initial impressions of the wine business this morning. He said that "Given a global market where consumers are increasingly demanding high quality wines at higher price points, TWE's strategy of premiumisation is the right one. The Company has an appetite for growth and a balance sheet to support these ambitions."
On the economic front, the results of the monthly NAB Business Confidence were issued at 11.30am (AEDT). Confidence has slipped from 7.0 to 4.0 this month. A reading above 0.0 still shows that businesses are more optimistic than negative. Conditions have improved modestly.
At lunch, 624.6 million shares have changed hands worth $1.08 billion. 234 stocks are up, 459 are in the red and 288 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar has improved this morning; currently buying US92.75c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date