Dogs Feel Guilt: Proven or Not?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 8, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Dogs' feelings of guilt and shame have been debated over for a long time. Now we're close to knowing the truth.
Dog lovers believe their beloved pets understand and express these feelings similar to what humans do. They base it on their own experiences and mostly as a fact. Can we really claim it as true?
Jenson, a Boxer dog rests in his stall on the first day of the Crufts dog show in Birmingham, central England, March 11, 2010.
In this report on livescience.com, a recent study declares there are reasons to assume that dogs experience guilt and shame. Marc Beckoff, Emeritus professor at University of Colorado, Boulder, one of the world's pioneering cognitive ethologists, said, "because it's been claimed that other mammals with whom dogs share the same neural bases for emotions do experience guilt, pride, and shame and other complex emotions... there's no reason why dogs cannot..."
With this statement, It's a given dogs normally behave and express these feelings similarly with other mammals.
Alexandra Horrowitz, renowned dog researcher for Barnard College, explained in her research in 2009, dogs respond and express more the guilty-look in response to their owners's cues and actions right up front. Although this instance in the study is discredited by some, it is still notable that dogs do express the "guilt" feeling and that's enough to hold on to at the moment.
More scientific data are needed to back-up if the study were accurate. Generally accepted but it's important not to discredit this particular research. It's not that previous and ongoing studies achieved nothing, but left us with more questions.
One good thing to know was that the discovery about dogs and their emotions have already broken ground for everyone to dig deeper. Dog lovers are not left to themselves to guess and conclude on their pets' feelings without scientific basis.
Everyone can now believe that dogs feel guilt, shame and almost every other emotion possible, while keeping an open mind of more discoveries that are worthy of surprise and delight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS