Anna Kendrick Wows at ‘Saturday Night Live’ as She Pulls Off ‘Little Mermaid’s’ Ariel and Monologue to Tune of ‘Belle’
By Tarun Mazumdar | April 8, 2014 12:22 PM EST
Anna Kendrick dropped by "Saturday Night Live" for her first gig as host and she stunned the audience with her performance. Hosting "SNL" for the first time, Anna Kendrick made sure her performance was flawless and pitch perfect. Anna's episode turned out to be full of energy because of her sheer talent. "Cups" singer started off the show with a monologue to the tune of "Belle" from "Beauty and the Beast."
The coolest part of this "Saturday Night Live" episode featuring Anna Kendrick was that every sketch ended up breaking into a song.
Anna in her monologue gave "Belle" a Broadway twist with the cast, backup dancers and Lorne Michaels coming together to welcome her. The opening monologue was a clear sign that the following night was going to be one grand musical episode.
Anna Kendrick also played the modern-day Ariel from "Little Mermaid" in one of the sketches. This modern Ariel loves new pop songs and belts out some cool hits. The sketch starts off with Aidy Bryant's Ursula wanting to take away Ariel's voice. However, she was left utterly disappointed after hearing Ariel's version of "We R Who We R" by Kesha.
During the "Saturday Night Live" episode, Anna also teamed up with "Get Lucky" singer Pharrell Williams. Vanessa Bayer and Anna Kendrick are twins who audition to become Pharrell's backup singers. They sing one of the songs from the "Rent."
Apart from Anna's knockout song-and-dance performances, her killer sleeveless dress also made an impact. According to Us Weekly, in the opening monologue, Anna sported a sleeveless navy dress with fitted waist, circle skirt with front zipper.
28-year-old Anna Kendrick is renowned for her role as Natalie Keener in George Clooney's "Up in the Air" for which she bagged Academy Award, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations. According to Slate, Anna is recruited as Cinderella in the upcoming adaptation of "Into the Woods."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal