Game of Thrones as Viewed by Ex-pm Julia Gillard
By Athena Yenko | April 8, 2014 12:11 PM EST
In an article she wrote for The Guardian, she shared that curiosity about a 'foreign' language spoken by her staff sparked her fondness for the Game of Thrones.
"The staff who worked with me most closely talked in a language I didn't understand, discussing the Wall and the White Walkers, the Iron Throne and dragonglass. During moments of rest, the police on my protection detail would be hunched over iPads watching and talking the same strange lingo."
She found herself addicted to the show after watching series one over three days when she was on leave in 2012. Already too much involved, she watched the following series as soon as she could.
She wrote that the aborted March 2013 coup was like barracking for the Khaleesi.
"After all, what girl has not yearned for a few dragons when in a tight spot?" she wrote.
Ms Gillard's reign as Australia's First Woman Prime Minister was made all the more 'colourful' by misogyny of some male politicians, but she had risen to the occasion. This, she saw too with the female characters in the series.
"In this world of constant war, female characters have never been relegated to the sidelines. They confound the stereotypes. Being a wife or being a whore does not mean being a bit player in a male drama. The women of combat command our attention once again."
When she was ousted from power, Ms Gillard said that her noblest takeaway and privilege was that after her, "it will be easier for the next woman and the woman after that and the woman after that" to become the prime minister.
Maybe, it is in the same way of thinking that she viewed the Game of Thrones being not just the story of Everyman but instead the story of would-be rulers.
"Instead, the lot of the everyman and everywoman forms only a backdrop to the story of would-be rulers and their clashes for power."
Ms Gillard's article was amusing in the same way that it offers a political perspective on a supposedly fantasy series.
And as the fourth series premiered, she said,"In Australia, winter is coming. What better way to spend its evenings than immersed in Game of Thrones?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers