Boxing News 2014: WBC Middleweight Champion Sergio Martinez Joins Growing Number of Boxers Who Believe Maidana Can Beat Mayweather
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 8, 2014 9:44 AM EST
Before Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana came into the limelight after unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr picked him over British pugilist Andre Khan, most of boxing fans view Money May as some sort of the ring's Superman cloaked with invincibility.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
His 45-0 record spoke for itself that almost automatically his next opponent was viewed as a sure loser.
However, more boxers are now challenging that way of thinking. One such boxer who believes 37-year-old Mayweather will finally taste the bitter pill of defeat under Maidana is WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. He is convinced that Maidana would place pressure on Money May that would make it difficult for the current pound-for-pound king to cope with in their May 3 bout.
"Well it's a very tough fight for Mayweather who is great beyond his years, but I'm surprised he took such a tough matchup because Maidana is a machine, he won't stop coming and I think he can get the win for Argentina," Boxingsocialist quoted Martinez.
Boxingnews 24 writer Allan Fox noted that while being nationalistic could be a factor in Martinez's opinion since both men are from Argentina, he agreed that if Maidana would use the same style he employed against Mayweather's friend, Adrien Broner, "then it's possible that he might be able to pull off an upset."
Fox added that Maidana can definitely punch and it is unquestionable that he is capable of knocking out Money May.
However, former champion Sugar Ray Leonard pointed out, "You can't go against Floyd. You just can never go against Floyd Mayweather." But at the same time, he admits, "But I want to see what a factor Maidana's power might be. There is always that puncher's chance, so these are the kinds of fights that the fans really anticipate."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports