'How I Met Your Mother' Sepanx, Lessons, Spoilers: 10 of Best Things About Ted Mosby, Barney and the Gang in Hit CBS Sitcom [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | April 8, 2014 5:32 AM EST
"How I Met Your Mother" series finale aired a week ago, and many fans are now suffering from sepanx, or separation anxiety. This sitcom has created pop icons out of a yellow umbrella, a blue French horn, a ducky tie, a pair of red boots and many others. Still, fans are polarised when it comes to the final moments of the series. When it comes to the best things about HIMYM, there is a lot from which fans can choose.
Josh Radnor as Ted Mosby in How I Met Your Mother. Radnor arrives for the premiere of the film "Liberal Arts" during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah January 22, 2012. (REUTERS)
Spoiler alert: This feature contains spoilers on the How I Met Your Mother ending. Read at your own risk.
Some fans have brazenly changed the HIMYM ending. Others, however, call the series finale "perfect." But certainly, many HIMYM followers will be watching the series again on DVD (if they have not started already). Here are 10 of the best things about "How I Met Your Mother" in its 9-year run.
10. Hidden agenda, misdirections. The first main point of the show. In the HIMYM pilot episode, the Mosby kids find it annoying that their dad is asking them to sit down for a little story. "Are we being punished?" They answered their own question at the very end of How I Met Your Mother.
From the HIMYM pilot episode, storytellers Craig Thomas and Carter Bays are already winking at the viewers, as if saying, We are not a straightforward show. But we'll take you for a fun ride.
9. Love and Lottery. Tracy McConnell (Cristin Milioti) used to think she had been with The One (Max), and it was like winning the lottery. She turned down a wedding proposal because she simply could not move on. And then she won the lottery again with Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) the day after the rejected proposal. (After nine years of How I Met Your Mother.)
8. Friendship Over Mismatch. Ted and Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders) knew from the start they were not the right person for each other. But How I Met Your Mother is often about irrational realities in some real friendships - you stay even when you are hurting. Robin was going to see Ted marry Stella (Sarah Chalke), and Ted gave the green light to Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) to propose to Robin.
7. Resilience. Ted Mosby never gave up through the entire nine years of How I Met Your Mother. After dozens of relationships and flings, he pushed forward to find his own lebenslangerschicksalsschatz (lifelong treasure of destiny). He said the alternative is worse, so he continued to believe that he, too, could find The One.
6. Signs. Ted Mosby often asked for signs, though he had a powerful speech against asking for such go signals. His kids' reaction to the "nine-year-long" How I Met Your Mother story was a sign for Ted that he could move on - six years after Tracy's death.
5. People do not change - unless they are ready and/or pushed to really change. Barney Stinson was his completely his old self right before his moment with Ellie.
4. Love with all you've got. The most important vow, according to Ted Mosby. Remember the lessons learned, and love with all you've got.
3. 'Love is the best thing we do.' Ted Mosby told Robin, just when she was ready to be Barney's runaway bride.
2. 'It is not legendary unless your friends are there.' The second main point of the entire How I Met Your Mother comedy series. Adventures are not legendary unless you are surrounded by the loves of your life. What is Ted without Marshall (Jason Segel) and Lily (Alyson Hannigan)?
1. Wait for it. Barney waited for it, and he got his very special albeit unconventional happy ending. For those who are curious about the How I Met Your Mother despite or because of the fans' mixed reactions. Keep "wait for it" in mind. The series is legendary in many ways.
WATCH: Titular 'Mother' Actress Cristin Milioti Reveals Her HIMYM Favourite (BuddyTV on YouTube)
How I Met Your Mother aired for nine years on CBS. The show's creators Bay and Thomas are now working on "How I Met Your Dad," which will be reportedly entirely different from HIMYM.
More TV Guide and HIMYM Features
'How I Met Your Mother' Series Finale Review: 15 Major Spoilers, Ted Mosby's Misdirection Revealed [Watch Promo Video]
'How I Met Your Mother' Series Finale, Ending Details: Will the Future Mrs Mosby Die Before 2030? [VIDEOS]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date