2014 NBA Playoffs Race Update – East: Atlanta Hawks Widen Lead Over New York Knicks for 8th Seed
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 11:16 PM EST
Not even New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith’s NBA-record 22 attempts from behind the arc can save the Miami Heat from further falling in the Eastern Conference team standings.
NBA: Atlanta Hawks at Indiana Pacers
With Carmelo Anthony obviously playing through an injury, the league’s ultimate chucker tried to save New York from the jaws of defeat but his chucking effort wasn’t enough as the Knicks fell to the defending champions Miami Heat, 102-91 on Sunday.
Smith finished with 32 points on 10-of-22 shooting from the three-point line while Anthony missed 14-of-17 shots to end up with only 13 points.
A few hours later, the Atlanta Hawk showed the Knicks how it’s done on the road. Atlanta started like a house on fire against the Indiana Pacers to lead 33-11 after the opening quarter. They never let up and got the crucial 107-88 victory that pushed them 2 games ahead of New York for the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.
Four players scored in double-figures for the Hawks including Paul Millsap (17 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocked shots), Jeff Teague (25 points) and Pero Antic (18 points).
Battle for the East’s 8th Spot
8. Atlanta Hawks (34-42)
9. New York Knicks (33-45)
10. Cleveland Cavaliers (31-47)
Atlanta Hawks (4 home, 2 away) - DET, BOS, @BKN, MIA, CHA, @MIL
New York Knicks (2 home, 2 away) - @TOR, CHI, @BKN, TOR
Cleveland Cavaliers (3 home, 1 away) - DET, @MIL, BOS, BKN
The Cavaliers can still make it to the postseason but need major help from the Hawks and Knicks. Another loss for Cleveland will eliminate them from contention so even Kyrie Irving’s surprise return can’t save their season.
Meanwhile, the Hawks-Knicks battle will most likely be decided by how Atlanta finishes the season. It’s practically out of the control of New York now as they have fewer games (4) than the Hawks (6).
Just to be sure, Millsap and crew need to get to 38 wins to avoid tiebreak complications. With games against lotto-bound teams Detroit, Boston and Milwaukee still on deck, it appears Atlanta will get the last ticket in the Eastern Conference Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored