Legendary Hollywood Actor Mickey Rooney Dies at 93
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 7, 2014 11:04 PM EST
Mickey Rooney, one of Hollywood's legendary actors whose career spanned more than 80 years in tv, film and Broadway theater, has died at 93 on Sunday, April 6.
The cause of death is not yet available as of press time. But it has been reported the actor was somehow ill for quite some time before his death.
The legendary actor started his career in Hollywood at the age of 10. Earlier, he had been performing in his parent's vaudeville act - since his toddler years.
Mickey Rooney's breakthrough to Hollywood gave him the opportunity to hit screens for both tv and film one project after the other. This extended for almost eight decades and may have set a record for having the most tenured career a Hollywood actor could have.
The actor who was first seen in a 1926 short film, "Not to be Trusted," has starred in almost 340 films. His last was in 2012 full length "The Woods."
Before his death, he was part of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (now filming), "Fragments from Olympus: The Vision of Nikola Tesla" (on pre-production) and is rumored to be a part of "Old Soldiers" (on pre-production). All three are set to be released this year.
As far as his showbiz career as concerned, the man had won two special awards for the Academy. One was a 1983 Honorary Award in recognition of his 50 years of versatility in a variety of memorable film performances. The other was a Juvenile Award in 1939 which he shared with fellow actor Deanna Durbin.
Rooney was nominated for four Oscars and had another seven nominations in different Award giving bodies for film, tv and Broadway. The actor also won 13 awards in total, including two Emmy's.
Aside from acting, Rooney also directed, produced and wrote for several films.
Mickey Rooney's death saddened fellow actors in the Hollywood and other famous personalities and fans who have watched several of his performances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’