'Game of Thrones' Cast Update: Kristian Nairn Shares Feelings on Being Gay, Michelle Fairley Wins on Irish Awards
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 7, 2014 9:16 PM EST
The curtain has been lifted and now the real battle between the House of Lannisters and the House of Starks begins. Westeros will soon be sacrificing lives on "Game of Thrones" (GoT) Season 4, but Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor, has just stopped a storm of swords as he uplifts the gay stereotypes in an interview with People.
A dance number is performed in tribute to outstanding drama series nominee "Game of Thrones" at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles in this file photo dated September 22, 2013.
Nairn, a professional DJ, plays the role of Hodor, dubbed as the "gentle giant" for his height of 6'10" and whose character only speaks one word - "Hodor." In GoT, Hodor carries Bran, played by Isaac Hempstead-Wright. The young Bran was caught watching Jaime Lannister and his sister Cersei Lannister in a very intimate moment. Bran was pushed from the window and fell. The young master has been crippled and Hodor has to carry him since then.
Being 6 foot plus and all, the gentle giant's admission that he was gay has put him into the headlines. Earlier in March, Kristian Nairn revealed that he was gay in an interview posted on winteriscoming.net.
"Well, in all honesty, when you talk about 'the gay community,' you are talking about MY community, haha," Nairn revealed. "...I've never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I've been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it's not something you just blurt out. I've tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!" the actor/DJ said.
Nairn being gay was a revelation to all GoT fans, and his looks has been an issue, because Nairn said some people didn't consider him as a "typical gay person" -- all burly and 6 foot plus tall.
"Some people say I don't look like the typical gay person, whatever that means," Nairn told People. "Obviously there's so many different types of gay people, but some people don't know that. Some people think we all look and act a certain type of way. So people have thanked me for that."
Coming out of the closet is not easy, but Nairn braved the walls and came out, if not unscathed.
Meanwhile, Michelle Fairley, who plays the role of Catelyn, mother of Bran and wife of Ned Stark, has been reported by Variety to have been braving the stage as she won the Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role for the television series "Game of Thrones."
The "Game of Thrones" cast continues to be recognized and makes name. On Sunday, April 6, 2014, "Episode 1 - Two Swords" of "Game of Thrones" Season 4 premiered on HBO. The new series is now conquering the headlines. "Episode 2 - The Lion and the Rose" airs on April 13.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date