'Game of Thrones' Cast Update: Kristian Nairn Shares Feelings on Being Gay, Michelle Fairley Wins on Irish Awards
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 7, 2014 9:16 PM EST
The curtain has been lifted and now the real battle between the House of Lannisters and the House of Starks begins. Westeros will soon be sacrificing lives on "Game of Thrones" (GoT) Season 4, but Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor, has just stopped a storm of swords as he uplifts the gay stereotypes in an interview with People.
A dance number is performed in tribute to outstanding drama series nominee "Game of Thrones" at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles in this file photo dated September 22, 2013.
Nairn, a professional DJ, plays the role of Hodor, dubbed as the "gentle giant" for his height of 6'10" and whose character only speaks one word - "Hodor." In GoT, Hodor carries Bran, played by Isaac Hempstead-Wright. The young Bran was caught watching Jaime Lannister and his sister Cersei Lannister in a very intimate moment. Bran was pushed from the window and fell. The young master has been crippled and Hodor has to carry him since then.
Being 6 foot plus and all, the gentle giant's admission that he was gay has put him into the headlines. Earlier in March, Kristian Nairn revealed that he was gay in an interview posted on winteriscoming.net.
"Well, in all honesty, when you talk about 'the gay community,' you are talking about MY community, haha," Nairn revealed. "...I've never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I've been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it's not something you just blurt out. I've tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!" the actor/DJ said.
Nairn being gay was a revelation to all GoT fans, and his looks has been an issue, because Nairn said some people didn't consider him as a "typical gay person" -- all burly and 6 foot plus tall.
"Some people say I don't look like the typical gay person, whatever that means," Nairn told People. "Obviously there's so many different types of gay people, but some people don't know that. Some people think we all look and act a certain type of way. So people have thanked me for that."
Coming out of the closet is not easy, but Nairn braved the walls and came out, if not unscathed.
Meanwhile, Michelle Fairley, who plays the role of Catelyn, mother of Bran and wife of Ned Stark, has been reported by Variety to have been braving the stage as she won the Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role for the television series "Game of Thrones."
The "Game of Thrones" cast continues to be recognized and makes name. On Sunday, April 6, 2014, "Episode 1 - Two Swords" of "Game of Thrones" Season 4 premiered on HBO. The new series is now conquering the headlines. "Episode 2 - The Lion and the Rose" airs on April 13.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions