'Game of Thrones' Cast Update: Kristian Nairn Shares Feelings on Being Gay, Michelle Fairley Wins on Irish Awards
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 7, 2014 9:16 PM EST
The curtain has been lifted and now the real battle between the House of Lannisters and the House of Starks begins. Westeros will soon be sacrificing lives on "Game of Thrones" (GoT) Season 4, but Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor, has just stopped a storm of swords as he uplifts the gay stereotypes in an interview with People.
A dance number is performed in tribute to outstanding drama series nominee "Game of Thrones" at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles in this file photo dated September 22, 2013.
Nairn, a professional DJ, plays the role of Hodor, dubbed as the "gentle giant" for his height of 6'10" and whose character only speaks one word - "Hodor." In GoT, Hodor carries Bran, played by Isaac Hempstead-Wright. The young Bran was caught watching Jaime Lannister and his sister Cersei Lannister in a very intimate moment. Bran was pushed from the window and fell. The young master has been crippled and Hodor has to carry him since then.
Being 6 foot plus and all, the gentle giant's admission that he was gay has put him into the headlines. Earlier in March, Kristian Nairn revealed that he was gay in an interview posted on winteriscoming.net.
"Well, in all honesty, when you talk about 'the gay community,' you are talking about MY community, haha," Nairn revealed. "...I've never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I've been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it's not something you just blurt out. I've tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!" the actor/DJ said.
Nairn being gay was a revelation to all GoT fans, and his looks has been an issue, because Nairn said some people didn't consider him as a "typical gay person" -- all burly and 6 foot plus tall.
"Some people say I don't look like the typical gay person, whatever that means," Nairn told People. "Obviously there's so many different types of gay people, but some people don't know that. Some people think we all look and act a certain type of way. So people have thanked me for that."
Coming out of the closet is not easy, but Nairn braved the walls and came out, if not unscathed.
Meanwhile, Michelle Fairley, who plays the role of Catelyn, mother of Bran and wife of Ned Stark, has been reported by Variety to have been braving the stage as she won the Irish Film and Television Awards (IFTA) for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role for the television series "Game of Thrones."
The "Game of Thrones" cast continues to be recognized and makes name. On Sunday, April 6, 2014, "Episode 1 - Two Swords" of "Game of Thrones" Season 4 premiered on HBO. The new series is now conquering the headlines. "Episode 2 - The Lion and the Rose" airs on April 13.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0