World T20 Final: India’s Defeat a Team Issue, Not Yuvraj’s Fault Alone: Dhoni
By Shruthi SU | April 7, 2014 7:34 PM EST
It is not new to hear reports of angry mob pelting stones at cricketers' houses - not in India at least. Yuvraj Singh's 21-ball 11 outraged fans and he has been held responsible for India's defeat to Sri Lanka in the final of the 2014 World T20 on Sunday.
India could put up only a meagre total of 130 on the board, thanks to some incredible death bowling from Sri Lanka, who then went on to chase down the target with ease.
"Nobody wants to really play bad cricket," MS Dhoni, the losing captain, said. "In front of 40,000 people you don't really want to drop a catch or misfield. It's part and parcel of the game. And we have seen it happen to some of the international athletes, not just cricketers. Let's get rid of it.
"Yuvi tried his best, it was an off day for him, at the same time it is not easy for a batsman to go out there and start slogging."
But no matter what Dhoni said, more questions were thrown at him about Yuvraj's performance.
"The thing is he was trying. That is the most you can do," Dhoni replied. "It's a team thing, let's not talk about individuals," Dhoni wanted to end the fuss. His words hardly took any effect.
"I can tell you one thing, you talk about the anger of the fans and all, you know it's always the individual who is more disappointed than the fans," Dhoni added. "As a player you go through more because you have your expectations and everything else. So I think that's not the statement you should talk about. Yes, fans get angry but you should also think about the individual."
Dhoni's captaincy skills have been questioned in the Test format but not in the shorter versions of the game because he has produced the results when it mattered. However, many wondered if Suresh Raina should have been sent ahead of Yuvraj Singh at no.4.
"We only have one - somebody like Suresh Raina who can go in and really start hitting from the very first ball," Dhoni said. "Most of the other batsmen like to spend a bit of time and then play the big shots. That's the reason why we want Yuvi at 4 and then Suresh Raina at 5. And also in this game what happened was, two right-handers were batting at that point of time [Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli]. So you wanted a left-right combination to make it difficult for the bowlers to execute their plans. And that was the reason why we had Yuvi at 4. After that we wanted to keep a left-right combination. But the last two overs, I said let me go [ahead of Raina] and try something."
There has been more questions of course, now about Yuvraj's future in T20 cricket. He scored 100 runs in the tournament, and the 60 against Australia convinced everyone that he is coming back in form and would help India win the tournament. Which was not to be.
"It is a big day, so let's not talk about selection because, effectively our season ends now. We go into domestic cricket with the IPL. So let's not talk about selection as of now, we'll see when it comes."
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers