World T20 Final: India’s Defeat a Team Issue, Not Yuvraj’s Fault Alone: Dhoni
By Shruthi SU | April 7, 2014 7:34 PM EST
It is not new to hear reports of angry mob pelting stones at cricketers' houses - not in India at least. Yuvraj Singh's 21-ball 11 outraged fans and he has been held responsible for India's defeat to Sri Lanka in the final of the 2014 World T20 on Sunday.
India could put up only a meagre total of 130 on the board, thanks to some incredible death bowling from Sri Lanka, who then went on to chase down the target with ease.
"Nobody wants to really play bad cricket," MS Dhoni, the losing captain, said. "In front of 40,000 people you don't really want to drop a catch or misfield. It's part and parcel of the game. And we have seen it happen to some of the international athletes, not just cricketers. Let's get rid of it.
"Yuvi tried his best, it was an off day for him, at the same time it is not easy for a batsman to go out there and start slogging."
But no matter what Dhoni said, more questions were thrown at him about Yuvraj's performance.
"The thing is he was trying. That is the most you can do," Dhoni replied. "It's a team thing, let's not talk about individuals," Dhoni wanted to end the fuss. His words hardly took any effect.
"I can tell you one thing, you talk about the anger of the fans and all, you know it's always the individual who is more disappointed than the fans," Dhoni added. "As a player you go through more because you have your expectations and everything else. So I think that's not the statement you should talk about. Yes, fans get angry but you should also think about the individual."
Dhoni's captaincy skills have been questioned in the Test format but not in the shorter versions of the game because he has produced the results when it mattered. However, many wondered if Suresh Raina should have been sent ahead of Yuvraj Singh at no.4.
"We only have one - somebody like Suresh Raina who can go in and really start hitting from the very first ball," Dhoni said. "Most of the other batsmen like to spend a bit of time and then play the big shots. That's the reason why we want Yuvi at 4 and then Suresh Raina at 5. And also in this game what happened was, two right-handers were batting at that point of time [Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli]. So you wanted a left-right combination to make it difficult for the bowlers to execute their plans. And that was the reason why we had Yuvi at 4. After that we wanted to keep a left-right combination. But the last two overs, I said let me go [ahead of Raina] and try something."
There has been more questions of course, now about Yuvraj's future in T20 cricket. He scored 100 runs in the tournament, and the 60 against Australia convinced everyone that he is coming back in form and would help India win the tournament. Which was not to be.
"It is a big day, so let's not talk about selection because, effectively our season ends now. We go into domestic cricket with the IPL. So let's not talk about selection as of now, we'll see when it comes."
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu