World T20 Final: India’s Defeat a Team Issue, Not Yuvraj’s Fault Alone: Dhoni
By Shruthi SU | April 7, 2014 7:34 PM EST
It is not new to hear reports of angry mob pelting stones at cricketers' houses - not in India at least. Yuvraj Singh's 21-ball 11 outraged fans and he has been held responsible for India's defeat to Sri Lanka in the final of the 2014 World T20 on Sunday.
India could put up only a meagre total of 130 on the board, thanks to some incredible death bowling from Sri Lanka, who then went on to chase down the target with ease.
"Nobody wants to really play bad cricket," MS Dhoni, the losing captain, said. "In front of 40,000 people you don't really want to drop a catch or misfield. It's part and parcel of the game. And we have seen it happen to some of the international athletes, not just cricketers. Let's get rid of it.
"Yuvi tried his best, it was an off day for him, at the same time it is not easy for a batsman to go out there and start slogging."
But no matter what Dhoni said, more questions were thrown at him about Yuvraj's performance.
"The thing is he was trying. That is the most you can do," Dhoni replied. "It's a team thing, let's not talk about individuals," Dhoni wanted to end the fuss. His words hardly took any effect.
"I can tell you one thing, you talk about the anger of the fans and all, you know it's always the individual who is more disappointed than the fans," Dhoni added. "As a player you go through more because you have your expectations and everything else. So I think that's not the statement you should talk about. Yes, fans get angry but you should also think about the individual."
Dhoni's captaincy skills have been questioned in the Test format but not in the shorter versions of the game because he has produced the results when it mattered. However, many wondered if Suresh Raina should have been sent ahead of Yuvraj Singh at no.4.
"We only have one - somebody like Suresh Raina who can go in and really start hitting from the very first ball," Dhoni said. "Most of the other batsmen like to spend a bit of time and then play the big shots. That's the reason why we want Yuvi at 4 and then Suresh Raina at 5. And also in this game what happened was, two right-handers were batting at that point of time [Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli]. So you wanted a left-right combination to make it difficult for the bowlers to execute their plans. And that was the reason why we had Yuvi at 4. After that we wanted to keep a left-right combination. But the last two overs, I said let me go [ahead of Raina] and try something."
There has been more questions of course, now about Yuvraj's future in T20 cricket. He scored 100 runs in the tournament, and the 60 against Australia convinced everyone that he is coming back in form and would help India win the tournament. Which was not to be.
"It is a big day, so let's not talk about selection because, effectively our season ends now. We go into domestic cricket with the IPL. So let's not talk about selection as of now, we'll see when it comes."
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed