Mahindra Scorpio Regains Top Position in SUV Market; Outsells Ford Ecosport
By greeshma m | April 7, 2014 7:29 PM EST
Mahindra's much acclaimed Scorpio has once again notched the top position in the Indian SUV market for the full fiscal year 2013-14, selling 50,900 units.
Mahindra Scorpio, a vehicle which made its India debut in 2002 has been a great performer in the domestic market till it lost to Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. A latest report by Economic Times says that Scorpio has regained its position in the market by beating its arch rivals EcoSport and Duster. While Mahindra sold 50,900 units of Scorpio in India in FY 14, the sales of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport stood at 46,700 and 45,000 respectively.
"We have posted highest-ever sales of Scorpio and Bolero in March and these are not merely strong dispatch numbers; they are backed by strong retail buying. We operate on a pull basis and not push basis," ET quoted Pravin Shah, chief executive, Automotive, M&M.
The iconic SUV Scorpio is sold in the country with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel mHawk engine and 2.5-litre m2Di. The base variant of Scorpio is priced at 7,82,679. The Scorpio which is quiet old in the market is now speculated to get an upgraded version soon.
Scorpio facelift has been spied testing numerous times and is expected to pack the same 2.2 liter four cylinder turbocharged mHawk diesel engine, which powers the current model. The engine is likely to offer a power of 120 bhp and peak torque of 290 Nm and the vehicle might parade a new set of headlamps, front grille, a revised front bumper and revamped tail lamps on the exterior. As far the interior is concerned, the all new Scorpio appears to be inspired from the XUV 500.The new Scorpio might also get 6-speed automatic transmission for improved performance.
In March, the sales of company's Scorpio, XUV500, Xylo, Bolero and Verito stood at 23,433 units as against the 25,847 units in March 2013.The car maker posted a marginal decline in total sales at 51,636 units. The company's domestic sales stood at 48,490 units as against 49,225 in the corresponding month last year.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time