Mahindra Scorpio Regains Top Position in SUV Market; Outsells Ford Ecosport
By greeshma m | April 7, 2014 7:29 PM EST
Mahindra's much acclaimed Scorpio has once again notched the top position in the Indian SUV market for the full fiscal year 2013-14, selling 50,900 units.
Mahindra Scorpio, a vehicle which made its India debut in 2002 has been a great performer in the domestic market till it lost to Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. A latest report by Economic Times says that Scorpio has regained its position in the market by beating its arch rivals EcoSport and Duster. While Mahindra sold 50,900 units of Scorpio in India in FY 14, the sales of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport stood at 46,700 and 45,000 respectively.
"We have posted highest-ever sales of Scorpio and Bolero in March and these are not merely strong dispatch numbers; they are backed by strong retail buying. We operate on a pull basis and not push basis," ET quoted Pravin Shah, chief executive, Automotive, M&M.
The iconic SUV Scorpio is sold in the country with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel mHawk engine and 2.5-litre m2Di. The base variant of Scorpio is priced at 7,82,679. The Scorpio which is quiet old in the market is now speculated to get an upgraded version soon.
Scorpio facelift has been spied testing numerous times and is expected to pack the same 2.2 liter four cylinder turbocharged mHawk diesel engine, which powers the current model. The engine is likely to offer a power of 120 bhp and peak torque of 290 Nm and the vehicle might parade a new set of headlamps, front grille, a revised front bumper and revamped tail lamps on the exterior. As far the interior is concerned, the all new Scorpio appears to be inspired from the XUV 500.The new Scorpio might also get 6-speed automatic transmission for improved performance.
In March, the sales of company's Scorpio, XUV500, Xylo, Bolero and Verito stood at 23,433 units as against the 25,847 units in March 2013.The car maker posted a marginal decline in total sales at 51,636 units. The company's domestic sales stood at 48,490 units as against 49,225 in the corresponding month last year.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install