Mahindra Scorpio Regains Top Position in SUV Market; Outsells Ford Ecosport
By greeshma m | April 7, 2014 7:29 PM EST
Mahindra's much acclaimed Scorpio has once again notched the top position in the Indian SUV market for the full fiscal year 2013-14, selling 50,900 units.
Mahindra Scorpio, a vehicle which made its India debut in 2002 has been a great performer in the domestic market till it lost to Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. A latest report by Economic Times says that Scorpio has regained its position in the market by beating its arch rivals EcoSport and Duster. While Mahindra sold 50,900 units of Scorpio in India in FY 14, the sales of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport stood at 46,700 and 45,000 respectively.
"We have posted highest-ever sales of Scorpio and Bolero in March and these are not merely strong dispatch numbers; they are backed by strong retail buying. We operate on a pull basis and not push basis," ET quoted Pravin Shah, chief executive, Automotive, M&M.
The iconic SUV Scorpio is sold in the country with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel mHawk engine and 2.5-litre m2Di. The base variant of Scorpio is priced at 7,82,679. The Scorpio which is quiet old in the market is now speculated to get an upgraded version soon.
Scorpio facelift has been spied testing numerous times and is expected to pack the same 2.2 liter four cylinder turbocharged mHawk diesel engine, which powers the current model. The engine is likely to offer a power of 120 bhp and peak torque of 290 Nm and the vehicle might parade a new set of headlamps, front grille, a revised front bumper and revamped tail lamps on the exterior. As far the interior is concerned, the all new Scorpio appears to be inspired from the XUV 500.The new Scorpio might also get 6-speed automatic transmission for improved performance.
In March, the sales of company's Scorpio, XUV500, Xylo, Bolero and Verito stood at 23,433 units as against the 25,847 units in March 2013.The car maker posted a marginal decline in total sales at 51,636 units. The company's domestic sales stood at 48,490 units as against 49,225 in the corresponding month last year.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build