Mahindra Scorpio Regains Top Position in SUV Market; Outsells Ford Ecosport
By greeshma m | April 7, 2014 7:29 PM EST
Mahindra's much acclaimed Scorpio has once again notched the top position in the Indian SUV market for the full fiscal year 2013-14, selling 50,900 units.
Mahindra Scorpio, a vehicle which made its India debut in 2002 has been a great performer in the domestic market till it lost to Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. A latest report by Economic Times says that Scorpio has regained its position in the market by beating its arch rivals EcoSport and Duster. While Mahindra sold 50,900 units of Scorpio in India in FY 14, the sales of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport stood at 46,700 and 45,000 respectively.
"We have posted highest-ever sales of Scorpio and Bolero in March and these are not merely strong dispatch numbers; they are backed by strong retail buying. We operate on a pull basis and not push basis," ET quoted Pravin Shah, chief executive, Automotive, M&M.
The iconic SUV Scorpio is sold in the country with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel mHawk engine and 2.5-litre m2Di. The base variant of Scorpio is priced at 7,82,679. The Scorpio which is quiet old in the market is now speculated to get an upgraded version soon.
Scorpio facelift has been spied testing numerous times and is expected to pack the same 2.2 liter four cylinder turbocharged mHawk diesel engine, which powers the current model. The engine is likely to offer a power of 120 bhp and peak torque of 290 Nm and the vehicle might parade a new set of headlamps, front grille, a revised front bumper and revamped tail lamps on the exterior. As far the interior is concerned, the all new Scorpio appears to be inspired from the XUV 500.The new Scorpio might also get 6-speed automatic transmission for improved performance.
In March, the sales of company's Scorpio, XUV500, Xylo, Bolero and Verito stood at 23,433 units as against the 25,847 units in March 2013.The car maker posted a marginal decline in total sales at 51,636 units. The company's domestic sales stood at 48,490 units as against 49,225 in the corresponding month last year.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports