Jay Z Believes Whites are Devils? Sparks Controversy by Wearing Five Percent Nation Medallion
By Keerthi Mohan | April 7, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Jay Z sparked controversy last week, when he was spotted wearing a medallion that belongs to Five Percent Nation, an offshoot of Nation of Islam, which preaches some racially charged beliefs.
On April 1, the rapper was photographed at a Brooklyn Nets game wearing a medallion featuring a star with the number seven in the middle. The bling is believed to be a symbol of Five Percent Nation and when a New York Post reporter asked him if the accessory meant something to him, Jay Z replied, “A little bit.”
It is not yet known if Jay Z endorses the beliefs held by the group. Some core tenants are that black men are superior to whites, the Christian God is a ghost, whites are the devil, and that only five percent of the world’s population understand the world.
“The rationale is that the black man is God and created the universe, and is physically stronger and intellectually stronger and more righteous naturally,” Michael Muhammad Knight, an author of two books on the radical group, told the publication.
“Whiteness is weak and wicked and inferior — basically just an errant child who needs to be corrected.”
Commenting on if Jay Z subscribes to the beliefs held by the group, a representative of the Five Percent Nation told The Post that he wouldn’t be wearing the medallion if he did not believe in its tenants.
“Jay Z is not an active member — no one has vouched for him” Saladin Allah, a representative of the group’s upstate region, told The Post. “It was always understood that you don’t wear the regalia if you don’t totally subscribe to the life.”
Interestingly, this is not the first time Jay Z has worn the bling. Last year, the rapper appeared for two radio interviews to promote his album Magna Carta Holy Grail wearing a similar medallion.
Meanwhile, the rapper’s choice of accessory has come under attack from Twitter users who have called Jay Z a black supremacist.
“Think of all the whities making him filthy rich,” wrote one angry user, while another added, “Its time to call a spade a spade! Jay z is a racist…anyone else who is a member of the same gang as he should not have endorsements.”
Another message called for a boycott of Jay Z’s albums. “All the WHITE DEVILS should stop buying his records, and anything else tied to him and Beyonce.”
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier