Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Brings $44m in Domestic and Int'l Sales
By Athena Yenko | April 7, 2014 4:21 PM EST
However, the estimated shares will not be without hurdles and constraints.
The coming in of international brands and online sellers pose challenges to the local fashion industry.
"Designers are no longer competing amongst themselves anymore. They're competing against the international high street. So stores like Zara and H&M are coming in, who are able to translate runway looks for consumers at an affordable price point. They haven't had to compete with that before," Assia Benmedjdoub, the editor of the industry magazine Ragtrader told ABC.
Designer Jayson Brunsdon echoed the same sentiment.
"Now Zara's here, H&M is here, Topshop is here - they're all coming in. As well as all the luxury groups - all the luxury groups have opened flagship stores in most cities in Australia as well. So competition is fierce," Mr Brunsdon said.
Mr Brunsdon was hit by global financial crisis that he had closed his stand alone boutiques and now decided to sell his brand through Myer's department store.
He had some advice for the new designers in the industry.
"I do think there are a lot of young designers coming through who need to think about the realities of the situation. They really need to think about the competition, the online shopping phenomenon, the internationals coming in. They need to think about their price points and they need to think about making locally. But it's very difficult to manufacture offshore if you don't have the volume."
For Melbourne-based Toni Maticevski, who still manufacture locally, manufacturing offshore for volume, produced products that missed out on quality.
"It can be really great for someone who's doing, you know, fast fashion - kind of get it through, high volume, not really concerned with quality. But then for me it was just kind of constant mistakes that we needed to keep correcting and it became even more costly in the end. It became really nightmarish and I thought, 'Stuff that - lets just take it back in and control it internally."
Mr Maticevski had been exporting his line to Europe, Asia and the Middle East. He admitted that while other designers are experiencing hurdle in the market, his market is growing.
For Assia Benmedjdoub the key to successfully cross the threshold of any market, whether local or international, is to balance both quality and price.
"I think the outlook is that Australian retailers and Australian designers will fight for the market share they have by really raising the quality of production and the quality for what they do," he said.
Georgina Safe of Advocate revealed that to secure a slot for the Fashion Week, one spends approximately $6,000 to $14,500.
This makes the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia a commercial event with young designers spending $40,000 to stage a show.
Ms Safe raised the question: why do they continue to show?
She got the answer from a pattern maker.
"I work with many hopeful start ups ... 99 per cent of them go nowhere. Many people are drawn into fashion not because of their skills, but because they want this amazing lifestyle and glamour [but] the market forces are very much against them. 'There is a phenomenon called 'I want a fashion label' and mostly all ends in tears."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales