Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia Brings $44m in Domestic and Int'l Sales
By Athena Yenko | April 7, 2014 4:21 PM EST
However, the estimated shares will not be without hurdles and constraints.
The coming in of international brands and online sellers pose challenges to the local fashion industry.
"Designers are no longer competing amongst themselves anymore. They're competing against the international high street. So stores like Zara and H&M are coming in, who are able to translate runway looks for consumers at an affordable price point. They haven't had to compete with that before," Assia Benmedjdoub, the editor of the industry magazine Ragtrader told ABC.
Designer Jayson Brunsdon echoed the same sentiment.
"Now Zara's here, H&M is here, Topshop is here - they're all coming in. As well as all the luxury groups - all the luxury groups have opened flagship stores in most cities in Australia as well. So competition is fierce," Mr Brunsdon said.
Mr Brunsdon was hit by global financial crisis that he had closed his stand alone boutiques and now decided to sell his brand through Myer's department store.
He had some advice for the new designers in the industry.
"I do think there are a lot of young designers coming through who need to think about the realities of the situation. They really need to think about the competition, the online shopping phenomenon, the internationals coming in. They need to think about their price points and they need to think about making locally. But it's very difficult to manufacture offshore if you don't have the volume."
For Melbourne-based Toni Maticevski, who still manufacture locally, manufacturing offshore for volume, produced products that missed out on quality.
"It can be really great for someone who's doing, you know, fast fashion - kind of get it through, high volume, not really concerned with quality. But then for me it was just kind of constant mistakes that we needed to keep correcting and it became even more costly in the end. It became really nightmarish and I thought, 'Stuff that - lets just take it back in and control it internally."
Mr Maticevski had been exporting his line to Europe, Asia and the Middle East. He admitted that while other designers are experiencing hurdle in the market, his market is growing.
For Assia Benmedjdoub the key to successfully cross the threshold of any market, whether local or international, is to balance both quality and price.
"I think the outlook is that Australian retailers and Australian designers will fight for the market share they have by really raising the quality of production and the quality for what they do," he said.
Georgina Safe of Advocate revealed that to secure a slot for the Fashion Week, one spends approximately $6,000 to $14,500.
This makes the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia a commercial event with young designers spending $40,000 to stage a show.
Ms Safe raised the question: why do they continue to show?
She got the answer from a pattern maker.
"I work with many hopeful start ups ... 99 per cent of them go nowhere. Many people are drawn into fashion not because of their skills, but because they want this amazing lifestyle and glamour [but] the market forces are very much against them. 'There is a phenomenon called 'I want a fashion label' and mostly all ends in tears."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers