Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus Dissed at Academy of Country Music Awards; Were Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan too Harsh?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 7, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Country singers Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan, hosts of the 2014 Academy of Country Music Awards, took jabs at Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears on Sunday at the 49th annual award night in Las Vegas.
Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton
The duo took shots at Bieber’s DUI arrest, Cyrus’ controversial Video Music Awards performance with Robin Thicke, and Spears’ lip syncing allegations as they kickstarted the event.
"Last year, when you heard Merle Haggard singing a song about being drunk, out of work and in jail, it sounded like Merle was signing about his younger self..." Bryan said, to which Blake replied, "This year, it sounds like he's singing about Justin Bieber.”
They then went on to talk about singer Jake Owen losing a finger during a go-cart accident, and added that the lost finger was found on Cyrus’ tour bus.
“It was takin’ a selfie and smokin’ a doobie,” Bryan said referring to Cyrus’ infamous foam finger that she used for her VMAs performance.
While most of the jokes went down well with the audience, the joke on Spears allegedly lip syncing her performances was a bit uncomfortable, as Spears’ sister Jamie Lynn was in the crowd.
“If you don’t like live music, just go down the street and see Britney Spears,” Shelton said after pointing out that the night will feature some of the biggest names in the industry performing live.
The duo also attempted to take a selfie with other singers in a bid to challenge Ellen DeGeneres’ Academy Awards selfie that featured Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey and others.
However, the singers could not find anyone famous enough to pose along with them, and finally decided that they were the only biggest stars at the ACMs.
While a majority of the audience loved their jokes, a section of them aren’t happy with the duo dissing their favortie pop stars. Comments calling them a pair of “douchebags” have made it to Twitter, and many believed that such jabs were uncalled for.
I like Luke Bryan & Blake Shelton, but taking shots at Britney Spears & Miley Cyrus isn't smart. They are WAY bigger then yall will ever be.
— Liana Nelson (@liana_nelson) April 7, 2014
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes