Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus Dissed at Academy of Country Music Awards; Were Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan too Harsh?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 7, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Country singers Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan, hosts of the 2014 Academy of Country Music Awards, took jabs at Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears on Sunday at the 49th annual award night in Las Vegas.
Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton
The duo took shots at Bieber’s DUI arrest, Cyrus’ controversial Video Music Awards performance with Robin Thicke, and Spears’ lip syncing allegations as they kickstarted the event.
"Last year, when you heard Merle Haggard singing a song about being drunk, out of work and in jail, it sounded like Merle was signing about his younger self..." Bryan said, to which Blake replied, "This year, it sounds like he's singing about Justin Bieber.”
They then went on to talk about singer Jake Owen losing a finger during a go-cart accident, and added that the lost finger was found on Cyrus’ tour bus.
“It was takin’ a selfie and smokin’ a doobie,” Bryan said referring to Cyrus’ infamous foam finger that she used for her VMAs performance.
While most of the jokes went down well with the audience, the joke on Spears allegedly lip syncing her performances was a bit uncomfortable, as Spears’ sister Jamie Lynn was in the crowd.
“If you don’t like live music, just go down the street and see Britney Spears,” Shelton said after pointing out that the night will feature some of the biggest names in the industry performing live.
The duo also attempted to take a selfie with other singers in a bid to challenge Ellen DeGeneres’ Academy Awards selfie that featured Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey and others.
However, the singers could not find anyone famous enough to pose along with them, and finally decided that they were the only biggest stars at the ACMs.
While a majority of the audience loved their jokes, a section of them aren’t happy with the duo dissing their favortie pop stars. Comments calling them a pair of “douchebags” have made it to Twitter, and many believed that such jabs were uncalled for.
I like Luke Bryan & Blake Shelton, but taking shots at Britney Spears & Miley Cyrus isn't smart. They are WAY bigger then yall will ever be.
— Liana Nelson (@liana_nelson) April 7, 2014
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza