Canonizations For Popes JPII, John XXIII to Proceed in Francis’ Style
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Humility and simplicity are Pope Francis' leadership mantras ever since accepting the post as supreme Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church. These should no longer come as a surprise on the set April 27 canonization of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
A woman holds a candle with a picture of Pope John Paul II as she commemorates the ninth anniversary of his death in Wadowice, the birth place of the Polish pope, April 2, 2014. Pope John Paul II will be canonized during a celebration mass led by Pope Francis, the current pope of the Catholic church, on April 27. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
According to Cardinal Agostino Vallini, vicar of Rome, churches in Rome's center have been instructed to remain open overnight before the canonization to give pilgrims a spiritual retreat. Apart from the "not much else" has been planned and laid out for the canonization, a milestone for the Roman Catholic church because this is the first the Vatican will be holding a double canonization of the two former popes.
The April 27 saint-making ceremony has been deliberately toned down, if it were to be compared with the three-day extravaganza that accompanied John Paul's beatification in 2011.
Three years ago, preparations for John Paul's beatification included a prayer vigil on Rome's Circus Maximus field for tens of thousands of people. The vigil cost the Church more than the budget allotted of $1.65 million. Around 1.5 million people watched the beatification mass, according to Rome police. Some 14 giant TV screens were set up for the event.
"What's important that happens is that there's a sobriety to get to the essential," Monsignor Walter Insero, Cardinal Vallini's communications director, said of the double canonization.
Italian media forecast as high as seven million people will flock to the event on April 27.
Rev. Federico Lombardi, in an attempt to downplay the event, said only 250,000 people can fit in St. Peter's Square and the main boulevard leading to it.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video