Canonizations For Popes JPII, John XXIII to Proceed in Francis’ Style
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Humility and simplicity are Pope Francis' leadership mantras ever since accepting the post as supreme Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church. These should no longer come as a surprise on the set April 27 canonization of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
A woman holds a candle with a picture of Pope John Paul II as she commemorates the ninth anniversary of his death in Wadowice, the birth place of the Polish pope, April 2, 2014. Pope John Paul II will be canonized during a celebration mass led by Pope Francis, the current pope of the Catholic church, on April 27. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel
According to Cardinal Agostino Vallini, vicar of Rome, churches in Rome's center have been instructed to remain open overnight before the canonization to give pilgrims a spiritual retreat. Apart from the "not much else" has been planned and laid out for the canonization, a milestone for the Roman Catholic church because this is the first the Vatican will be holding a double canonization of the two former popes.
The April 27 saint-making ceremony has been deliberately toned down, if it were to be compared with the three-day extravaganza that accompanied John Paul's beatification in 2011.
Three years ago, preparations for John Paul's beatification included a prayer vigil on Rome's Circus Maximus field for tens of thousands of people. The vigil cost the Church more than the budget allotted of $1.65 million. Around 1.5 million people watched the beatification mass, according to Rome police. Some 14 giant TV screens were set up for the event.
"What's important that happens is that there's a sobriety to get to the essential," Monsignor Walter Insero, Cardinal Vallini's communications director, said of the double canonization.
Italian media forecast as high as seven million people will flock to the event on April 27.
Rev. Federico Lombardi, in an attempt to downplay the event, said only 250,000 people can fit in St. Peter's Square and the main boulevard leading to it.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage