NBA Injury News: Trouble in San Antonio? Spurs Guard Tony Parker to Undergo MRI on Back
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 3:42 PM EST
The San Antonio Spurs are one of the rather “old” teams in the entire NBA. With a few games remaining in the regular season, the championship contenders are worried that one of their key players in Tony Parker might be suffering from an injury that can affect their chances in the postseason.
NBA: San Antonio Spurs at Oklahoma City Thunder
The Frenchman is scheduled for an MRI on Monday after playing in just 9 minutes against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday. The Spurs did beat the Grizz big, 112-92 and Parker even scored 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting before he left the floor because of back spasms.
Parker fell on his back at the 7:38 mark of the opening quarter and was fouled by the Grizz’s Mike Conley during the play.
Parker’s injury history doesn’t help. He has missed a total of 11 games this season; mild ankle sprain, shin contusion, tightness in his low back and a sore ankle among the many injury reports.
“We just have to hope it’s a couple-of-days thing,” said another Spurs veteran in Manu Ginobili, “Of course we are a different team with him. We need him healthy and strong for the playoffs.”
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich was hopeful that it wasn’t a long-term injury as well but couldn’t give yet give updates on status of the injury.
"They're going to MRI his back tomorrow," said Popovich after the game. "I'm not a doctor, I don't know."
The All-Star averages 16.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 5.6 assists in 64 games this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’