T20 World Cup For Women: Australia Bagged the Title For Third Time
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 7, 2014 3:06 PM EST
While the men's failed to mark an impression in T20 World Cup, the women's T20 team has emerged victorious in the finals against England at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
Aussie Captain Meg Lanning became a match-winner with a super-fine knock of 44 runs in 30 deliveries. The Australian won the toss and selected to field.
England seemed to be out-of-gear as none of the players could stand tall leading to a low final score of 105 runs. Heather Knight was the only one who tried to stand in front of Aussies' formidable attack and brilliant fielding, bagging 29 runs off 24 deliveries.
The first loss of wicket for England was in the sixth over when Captain Charlotte Edwards was superbly caught at mid-on in 13 runs off 19 deliveries.
Heather Knight and Sarah Taylor tried to build the block, but Taylor got dismissed when trying to attempt a reverse sweep in 18 runs.
Destruction followed from this point as England was quickly bundled, losing eight wickets in quick succession. Not much big hits could not be seen, except few boundaries, as the fielding of Australia was tight to restrict the opponent.
During the second innings, it felt England was gaining a better spot at the initial instance after securing the first wicket in the third over, when Jess Jonassen got out on 15 runs. The second wicket fell down in the seventh over as Elyse Villani got dismissed in 12 runs.
Lanning came up in a decisive time and played a brilliant knock with two sixes and four boundaries. Her dismissal came to the point when the Aussies needed two runs to win the match. She was well-assisted by Ellyse Perry who was in the crease until the end with 31 runs on his personal board.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’