Rob Lowe Bemoans His Too Handsome Face
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 2:22 PM EST
Rob Lowe laments being too pretty. The “Parks & Recreation” star revealed that being handsome isn’t all that.
The actor wrote in his second memoir, “Love Life,” that he had trouble with building a career in Hollywood during his younger days because nobody would take him seriously.
“There’s this unbelievable bias and prejudice against quote-unquote good-looking people, that they can’t be in pain or they can’t have rough lives or be deep or interesting,” the 50-year-old undeniably handsome actor told the NY Times.
“They can’t be any of the things that you long to play as an actor. I’m getting to play those parts now and loving it. When I was a teen idol, I was so goddamn pretty I wouldn’t have taken myself seriously.”
He added, “Again, there’s a historical bias that good-looking people are not funny,” referring to his roles on “Parks and Recreation” and “Californication.”
He also revealed his “deep dark secret,” saying that “I was a nerd in school. I liked the theatre. I liked to study. I wasn’t very good at sports. It took being famous to make me cool, which, by the way, I never forgot.”
He will be seen next in “Sex Tape” a comedy film top-billed by Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel, who play a married couple whose homemade sex tape accidentally is leaked to their family and friends.
Lowe, who was infamously involved in a sex scandal in 1988, said that the upcoming movie wouldn’t happen if it weren’t for him.
“Considering I pioneered the field, it’s high time I actually made some money in it.”
Lowe isn’t the only one who claims their pretty face hindered their career more than helped it.
Former “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria also once said that being too beautiful was a curse for an actor like her.
“I’ve lost loads of jobs because I was too pretty. And everybody’s like, ‘Oh, poor you.’ But seriously, you don’t get the good roles when you’re beautiful,” she was quoted as saying in the past.
While it’s difficult to sympathise with people whose problem lies with their beautiful face, they may have a point. After all, if we’re not taking their problem seriously, it might also mean that we don’t take them seriously as an actor.
We must just think they are humble-bragging, but maybe they aren’t. Perhaps it’s time that we take them seriously.
On second thought, it’s really hard to take someone seriously if they have such high opinion of themselves.
Case in point, Longoria’s interview with Prestige in March rubbed some readers the wrong way.
“I never thought of myself as a sex symbol. I just do the cover of magazines. I think it’s really unfair men or people in the world think you can’t be both – you can’t be a sex symbol and a serious businessperson. Who says I can’t be both? Who says I can’t do the cover of Maxim and run a production company?” she said in the interview.
“Women are complex. Women are beautiful and intellectual and spiritual and social and entrepreneurial. They’re everything. And I think I’m a great example of that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft