Rob Lowe Bemoans His Too Handsome Face
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 2:22 PM EST
Rob Lowe laments being too pretty. The “Parks & Recreation” star revealed that being handsome isn’t all that.
The actor wrote in his second memoir, “Love Life,” that he had trouble with building a career in Hollywood during his younger days because nobody would take him seriously.
“There’s this unbelievable bias and prejudice against quote-unquote good-looking people, that they can’t be in pain or they can’t have rough lives or be deep or interesting,” the 50-year-old undeniably handsome actor told the NY Times.
“They can’t be any of the things that you long to play as an actor. I’m getting to play those parts now and loving it. When I was a teen idol, I was so goddamn pretty I wouldn’t have taken myself seriously.”
He added, “Again, there’s a historical bias that good-looking people are not funny,” referring to his roles on “Parks and Recreation” and “Californication.”
He also revealed his “deep dark secret,” saying that “I was a nerd in school. I liked the theatre. I liked to study. I wasn’t very good at sports. It took being famous to make me cool, which, by the way, I never forgot.”
He will be seen next in “Sex Tape” a comedy film top-billed by Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel, who play a married couple whose homemade sex tape accidentally is leaked to their family and friends.
Lowe, who was infamously involved in a sex scandal in 1988, said that the upcoming movie wouldn’t happen if it weren’t for him.
“Considering I pioneered the field, it’s high time I actually made some money in it.”
Lowe isn’t the only one who claims their pretty face hindered their career more than helped it.
Former “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria also once said that being too beautiful was a curse for an actor like her.
“I’ve lost loads of jobs because I was too pretty. And everybody’s like, ‘Oh, poor you.’ But seriously, you don’t get the good roles when you’re beautiful,” she was quoted as saying in the past.
While it’s difficult to sympathise with people whose problem lies with their beautiful face, they may have a point. After all, if we’re not taking their problem seriously, it might also mean that we don’t take them seriously as an actor.
We must just think they are humble-bragging, but maybe they aren’t. Perhaps it’s time that we take them seriously.
On second thought, it’s really hard to take someone seriously if they have such high opinion of themselves.
Case in point, Longoria’s interview with Prestige in March rubbed some readers the wrong way.
“I never thought of myself as a sex symbol. I just do the cover of magazines. I think it’s really unfair men or people in the world think you can’t be both – you can’t be a sex symbol and a serious businessperson. Who says I can’t be both? Who says I can’t do the cover of Maxim and run a production company?” she said in the interview.
“Women are complex. Women are beautiful and intellectual and spiritual and social and entrepreneurial. They’re everything. And I think I’m a great example of that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports