Rob Lowe Bemoans His Too Handsome Face
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 2:22 PM EST
Rob Lowe laments being too pretty. The “Parks & Recreation” star revealed that being handsome isn’t all that.
The actor wrote in his second memoir, “Love Life,” that he had trouble with building a career in Hollywood during his younger days because nobody would take him seriously.
“There’s this unbelievable bias and prejudice against quote-unquote good-looking people, that they can’t be in pain or they can’t have rough lives or be deep or interesting,” the 50-year-old undeniably handsome actor told the NY Times.
“They can’t be any of the things that you long to play as an actor. I’m getting to play those parts now and loving it. When I was a teen idol, I was so goddamn pretty I wouldn’t have taken myself seriously.”
He added, “Again, there’s a historical bias that good-looking people are not funny,” referring to his roles on “Parks and Recreation” and “Californication.”
He also revealed his “deep dark secret,” saying that “I was a nerd in school. I liked the theatre. I liked to study. I wasn’t very good at sports. It took being famous to make me cool, which, by the way, I never forgot.”
He will be seen next in “Sex Tape” a comedy film top-billed by Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel, who play a married couple whose homemade sex tape accidentally is leaked to their family and friends.
Lowe, who was infamously involved in a sex scandal in 1988, said that the upcoming movie wouldn’t happen if it weren’t for him.
“Considering I pioneered the field, it’s high time I actually made some money in it.”
Lowe isn’t the only one who claims their pretty face hindered their career more than helped it.
Former “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria also once said that being too beautiful was a curse for an actor like her.
“I’ve lost loads of jobs because I was too pretty. And everybody’s like, ‘Oh, poor you.’ But seriously, you don’t get the good roles when you’re beautiful,” she was quoted as saying in the past.
While it’s difficult to sympathise with people whose problem lies with their beautiful face, they may have a point. After all, if we’re not taking their problem seriously, it might also mean that we don’t take them seriously as an actor.
We must just think they are humble-bragging, but maybe they aren’t. Perhaps it’s time that we take them seriously.
On second thought, it’s really hard to take someone seriously if they have such high opinion of themselves.
Case in point, Longoria’s interview with Prestige in March rubbed some readers the wrong way.
“I never thought of myself as a sex symbol. I just do the cover of magazines. I think it’s really unfair men or people in the world think you can’t be both – you can’t be a sex symbol and a serious businessperson. Who says I can’t be both? Who says I can’t do the cover of Maxim and run a production company?” she said in the interview.
“Women are complex. Women are beautiful and intellectual and spiritual and social and entrepreneurial. They’re everything. And I think I’m a great example of that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L