Apple Inc. 2015 Product Hints in Email from Steve Jobs
By Athena Yenko | April 7, 2014 2:18 PM EST
In this email which was addressed to the Apple's top executives, Jobs mentioned that the company's strategy for 2011 would be to stage a Holy War with Google. The expression Holy War later became the thermonuclear war that people knew today.
Although the email was in a bullet point form, Jobs hinted that the Apple TV 2 will "stay in the living room game and make a great "must have" accessory for iOS devices. New contents will be NBC, CBS, Viacom and HBO.
As for future plans for Apple TV 2, a TV subscription was being considered as far back as 2011. There will be new apps, browser and the "magic wand" which later became the Wii-like Apple TV remote control.
The email was dated Oct 24, 2010, but Mr Jobs was already talking about the "post pc era" with Apple Inc leading the innovation with its iPad. As how Jobs put it, ""PC [was] now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch."
However, the "real" take away from this email, most importantly for the Apple haters, was the declaration made by Mr Jobs that Apple Inc was behind Microsoft and Google in cloud technology; and that iOS, the fundamental software for Apple devices, was behind Android.
Mr Jobs noted that Android and Google were racing ahead in cloud services as Android had already included Google cloud service. Android too, he noted, was ahead "in cloud services for contacts, calendars, mail."
As written by Mr Jobs, "Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long (innovator's dilemma ... Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but have not quite figured it out yet ..."
As for the iOS, he wrote, "Strategy: catch up to Android where we are behind (notifications, tethering, speech, ...) and leapfrog them (Siri, ...)".
As part of a whole 2011 strategy, a new Apple campus by 2015 was already in vision.
In terms of financial aspect, Mr Jobs mentioned a geo analysis of the emerging markets - Japan, Asia and "possibly break out in China."
All future trends and goals are to be compared with Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and RIM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage