Floyd Mayweather Shouldn’t Be 'Too Complacent'; Marcos Maidana Primed to Give Him 'First-Ever Defeat'
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 7, 2014 2:18 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather bagged numerous feats and achievements that any fighter could easily feel intimidated with. But not Marcos Maidana as the Argentine boxer is all-set to take advantage of the opportunity and give the American boxer his first-ever defeat in his professional boxing career.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Speaking to ESPN Deportes, Maidana stressed he is perfectly aware that his upcoming fight with Mayweather on May 3 is not going to be that easy. He said he is working hard in terms of improving his speed and boxing techniques, including his defense skills, so that he can expand his chances of beating the undefeated boxer. "I'm bound to improve all for more chances to win," Maidana added.
The Argentine boxer noted Mayweather is a lot different from Adrien Broner, whom he last fought and defeated in December.
"Mayweather is much better than that," Maidana chanted. But he has high hopes he will have what it takes to beat the undefeated boxer. Maidana said there is nothing wrong with dreaming, even if it involves a thought of beating Mayweather.
Maidana's dreams can probably give him something to strive for to try and attain, which could entail beating Mayweather.
"Nothing I lose to dream," Maidana chanted. "Everyone at some point in life have to lose and I think it's time for him to lose, this is a fight that can change my career," he added.
Maidana noted he has already fulfilled a dream because he is going to fight the best fighter in the world. He is aware of the expectations so he will be giving it his best shot.
"I know many people are hoping that I win, the fans of Argentina will be large and that Latinos are supporting me."
"I hope to give a great fight."
"That night will be special," Maidana concluded.
Maidana and Mayweather will meet face-to-face on May 3. In the U.S. alone, the event will be broadcasted in over 500 locations across all 50 states.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display