Floyd Mayweather Shouldn’t Be 'Too Complacent'; Marcos Maidana Primed to Give Him 'First-Ever Defeat'
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 7, 2014 2:18 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather bagged numerous feats and achievements that any fighter could easily feel intimidated with. But not Marcos Maidana as the Argentine boxer is all-set to take advantage of the opportunity and give the American boxer his first-ever defeat in his professional boxing career.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Speaking to ESPN Deportes, Maidana stressed he is perfectly aware that his upcoming fight with Mayweather on May 3 is not going to be that easy. He said he is working hard in terms of improving his speed and boxing techniques, including his defense skills, so that he can expand his chances of beating the undefeated boxer. "I'm bound to improve all for more chances to win," Maidana added.
The Argentine boxer noted Mayweather is a lot different from Adrien Broner, whom he last fought and defeated in December.
"Mayweather is much better than that," Maidana chanted. But he has high hopes he will have what it takes to beat the undefeated boxer. Maidana said there is nothing wrong with dreaming, even if it involves a thought of beating Mayweather.
Maidana's dreams can probably give him something to strive for to try and attain, which could entail beating Mayweather.
"Nothing I lose to dream," Maidana chanted. "Everyone at some point in life have to lose and I think it's time for him to lose, this is a fight that can change my career," he added.
Maidana noted he has already fulfilled a dream because he is going to fight the best fighter in the world. He is aware of the expectations so he will be giving it his best shot.
"I know many people are hoping that I win, the fans of Argentina will be large and that Latinos are supporting me."
"I hope to give a great fight."
"That night will be special," Maidana concluded.
Maidana and Mayweather will meet face-to-face on May 3. In the U.S. alone, the event will be broadcasted in over 500 locations across all 50 states.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6