Two Killed as Egyptian Tribal Clash Resumes
April 7, 2014 2:10 PM EST
Two people were killed on Sunday when tribal clashes flared for a third day in the southern city of Aswan, security sources said.
Two Killed as Egyptian Tribal Clash Resumes (Representational Image)
At least 25 people have now been killed in the violence between members of the city's two big tribes, the Nubian and the Arab Beni Helal clans.
The prime minister and interior minister travelled to Aswan on Saturday afternoon to try to quell the tension as residents demanded an end to the bloodshed.
The two sides fought with guns and petrol bombs, and several houses and shops were burned to the ground before the police and army were able to briefly stop the fighting on Saturday morning.
Nubian clan members blocked a main street with burning car tyres on Sunday and members of the Beni Helal tribe set ablaze carts on another main road, witnesses said.
Aswan is a tourist city 900 km (550 miles) south of Cairo on the River Nile.
"We want the government to take action, not come for a short visit and go away," said Ahmed Rafeat, a Nubian who works in the tourist industry. "We ask for security, an end to the bloodshed and a curfew to be imposed."
Seventeen of the dead were from the Beni Helal clan. The army said on Saturday there were "signs of involvement" of the Muslim Brotherhood - the Islamist movement of deposed President Mohamed Mursi - in the strife.
The Islamist group denies any links to the violence that spread to many Egyptian cities after Mursi's overthrow last July.
Authorities have cracked down on the group since then and have jailed thousands of Islamist activists and killed hundreds more, mostly during the forced dispersal of protest camps set up by Mursi supporters in Cairo last August.
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510