Blues’ Blues: Essendon Drubs Carlton by 81 Points, Jamison Calls It Worst Loss Ever
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 1:39 PM EST
The Essendon-Carlton match started at six goals to nil and it was downhill from there for Michael Jamison’s club even as the Carlton defender called it “the worst loss I’ve been involved in.”
It was indeed total domination for the Bombers against the Blues. The final scoreline was at 21.12 (138) to 8.9 (57) for the game witnessed by 62,730 fans.
Across the board, Essendon had the advantage in disposals (130-74), uncontested possessions (97-46) and marks (48-18) among other stats. It was all over by halftime too as the Bombers led by 44 points at the break.
Paul Chapman and Jason Winderlich led the game with 4 goals apiece.
"It's certainly the worst loss I've been involved in," said Jamison in the official Australian Football League (AFL) official website. "It's worse when you think about the supporters and everyone who works at the club who you've let down.”
Carlton coach Mick Malthouse agreed with his defensive ward.
"Essendon are a very, very talented football side and a very good football side and tonight we allowed them to play with relative ease," Malthous said after the match. "Really, that's embarrassing for our football club."
Malthouse’s counterpart Mark Thompson was even surprised with the easy victory.
"I thought we were in good shape; we trained well and we were coming off a pretty reasonable game against Hawthorn so I thought we'd do OK but I didn't think we'd do as well as that," said the Essendon coach.
Carlton players and coaches had a meeting after the huge defeat.
"It's a honest conversation with all the players," added Jamison. “If you can't give feedback to each other in an honest way, there's no way you can do it on the ground."
The Blues meet Melbourne on Saturday in a match-up between winless teams. After 3 games, Essendon and Melbourne are joined by Brisbane and Adelaide as the teams still without a victory at this point of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu