Blues’ Blues: Essendon Drubs Carlton by 81 Points, Jamison Calls It Worst Loss Ever
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 1:39 PM EST
The Essendon-Carlton match started at six goals to nil and it was downhill from there for Michael Jamison’s club even as the Carlton defender called it “the worst loss I’ve been involved in.”
It was indeed total domination for the Bombers against the Blues. The final scoreline was at 21.12 (138) to 8.9 (57) for the game witnessed by 62,730 fans.
Across the board, Essendon had the advantage in disposals (130-74), uncontested possessions (97-46) and marks (48-18) among other stats. It was all over by halftime too as the Bombers led by 44 points at the break.
Paul Chapman and Jason Winderlich led the game with 4 goals apiece.
"It's certainly the worst loss I've been involved in," said Jamison in the official Australian Football League (AFL) official website. "It's worse when you think about the supporters and everyone who works at the club who you've let down.”
Carlton coach Mick Malthouse agreed with his defensive ward.
"Essendon are a very, very talented football side and a very good football side and tonight we allowed them to play with relative ease," Malthous said after the match. "Really, that's embarrassing for our football club."
Malthouse’s counterpart Mark Thompson was even surprised with the easy victory.
"I thought we were in good shape; we trained well and we were coming off a pretty reasonable game against Hawthorn so I thought we'd do OK but I didn't think we'd do as well as that," said the Essendon coach.
Carlton players and coaches had a meeting after the huge defeat.
"It's a honest conversation with all the players," added Jamison. “If you can't give feedback to each other in an honest way, there's no way you can do it on the ground."
The Blues meet Melbourne on Saturday in a match-up between winless teams. After 3 games, Essendon and Melbourne are joined by Brisbane and Adelaide as the teams still without a victory at this point of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans