Blues’ Blues: Essendon Drubs Carlton by 81 Points, Jamison Calls It Worst Loss Ever
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 1:39 PM EST
The Essendon-Carlton match started at six goals to nil and it was downhill from there for Michael Jamison’s club even as the Carlton defender called it “the worst loss I’ve been involved in.”
It was indeed total domination for the Bombers against the Blues. The final scoreline was at 21.12 (138) to 8.9 (57) for the game witnessed by 62,730 fans.
Across the board, Essendon had the advantage in disposals (130-74), uncontested possessions (97-46) and marks (48-18) among other stats. It was all over by halftime too as the Bombers led by 44 points at the break.
Paul Chapman and Jason Winderlich led the game with 4 goals apiece.
"It's certainly the worst loss I've been involved in," said Jamison in the official Australian Football League (AFL) official website. "It's worse when you think about the supporters and everyone who works at the club who you've let down.”
Carlton coach Mick Malthouse agreed with his defensive ward.
"Essendon are a very, very talented football side and a very good football side and tonight we allowed them to play with relative ease," Malthous said after the match. "Really, that's embarrassing for our football club."
Malthouse’s counterpart Mark Thompson was even surprised with the easy victory.
"I thought we were in good shape; we trained well and we were coming off a pretty reasonable game against Hawthorn so I thought we'd do OK but I didn't think we'd do as well as that," said the Essendon coach.
Carlton players and coaches had a meeting after the huge defeat.
"It's a honest conversation with all the players," added Jamison. “If you can't give feedback to each other in an honest way, there's no way you can do it on the ground."
The Blues meet Melbourne on Saturday in a match-up between winless teams. After 3 games, Essendon and Melbourne are joined by Brisbane and Adelaide as the teams still without a victory at this point of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales