Blues’ Blues: Essendon Drubs Carlton by 81 Points, Jamison Calls It Worst Loss Ever
By James Patrick Quizon | April 7, 2014 1:39 PM EST
The Essendon-Carlton match started at six goals to nil and it was downhill from there for Michael Jamison’s club even as the Carlton defender called it “the worst loss I’ve been involved in.”
It was indeed total domination for the Bombers against the Blues. The final scoreline was at 21.12 (138) to 8.9 (57) for the game witnessed by 62,730 fans.
Across the board, Essendon had the advantage in disposals (130-74), uncontested possessions (97-46) and marks (48-18) among other stats. It was all over by halftime too as the Bombers led by 44 points at the break.
Paul Chapman and Jason Winderlich led the game with 4 goals apiece.
"It's certainly the worst loss I've been involved in," said Jamison in the official Australian Football League (AFL) official website. "It's worse when you think about the supporters and everyone who works at the club who you've let down.”
Carlton coach Mick Malthouse agreed with his defensive ward.
"Essendon are a very, very talented football side and a very good football side and tonight we allowed them to play with relative ease," Malthous said after the match. "Really, that's embarrassing for our football club."
Malthouse’s counterpart Mark Thompson was even surprised with the easy victory.
"I thought we were in good shape; we trained well and we were coming off a pretty reasonable game against Hawthorn so I thought we'd do OK but I didn't think we'd do as well as that," said the Essendon coach.
Carlton players and coaches had a meeting after the huge defeat.
"It's a honest conversation with all the players," added Jamison. “If you can't give feedback to each other in an honest way, there's no way you can do it on the ground."
The Blues meet Melbourne on Saturday in a match-up between winless teams. After 3 games, Essendon and Melbourne are joined by Brisbane and Adelaide as the teams still without a victory at this point of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions